Walther P22

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

MikeO222
    (4/23/02 7:43:35 pm)
    Reply Walther P22
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Has anyone shot this pistol? I am looking to pick up the 5" barrel version but wanted to see what people who shot it think!

Thanks!
    mike

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/24/02 7:58:39 am)
    Reply Re: Walther P22
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Mike, and welcome to the firearms forum.
    I have not shot a P22, but what personal reviews I've seen are positive.

By the way, are you looking for a Plinker/fun gun, or are you considering a Target gun?

We have a great feature at the bottom of our pages that allow you to do a "Google Search". Give it a try...

z537z
    (2/7/03 11:57:25 pm)
    I've read mixed reviews about this Pistol: However, it's really damn pretty and German engineering holds a certain prestige. The biggest problem I hear of is difficulty with chamber loading due to screwy magazines.

Word is that the magazines with a serial number ending in "A" (the more recent ones) have fixed the problems.

I'd really like a .22 auto pistol. I checked out the Taurus revolvers in .22LR, but I have a thing for regular autos. Anybody got a good link to a review of this gun?

How well does its accuracy stand up to a Buckmark or Ruger?

I'm looking for a plinker, but a good one (ie able to pick off those shotty shells at 25 or cans at 50 consistently, good grouping at 50) in .22LR.

Thanks

_z

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/8/03 12:00:24 am)
    Welcome to the board, Mike & z537 - hope you will join in the discussions on the many forums here.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Jbobin
    (2/10/03 10:08:32 am)
    Reply P22
    I have shot the P22 a few times down at the range. I almost bought one in fact. I liked the interchangable palm swells on the grip, because my wife and I could both 'fit' the gun, and it looked real nice. However the one I shot was brand new and had some feeding problems. If I didn't end up getting a great deal on a used Buckmark, I would have purchased the P22 that day and put some round thru it to work the feeding problem.

They are varied barrel lengths, but I would stay with the longest version (5inch?). By the way, that is not a compensator or muzzle brake on the end of the barrel, it just makes the gun look cool.

The price is right and it will likely never be worth much less that you paid for it.

Jk

NEtracker
    (2/10/03 11:31:11 am)
    Reply My P22 3.42"
    Got my P22 in Sept "02. Problems increased from Oct -Jan, so, at >1000rnds, I finally sent it in to S&W (Walrep) for warranty work.

Fast turnaround, 6 days.
    I used FedEx this time, but one of these days I'll take a field trip over to S&W just to see the place.

What they did:
    1) replaced the Safety (nice and tight now; was kicking on sometimes)
    2) replaced firing pin spring, was weak (lite strikes)
    3) shaved the top of the hammer, nice clean job (for the FTF)
    4) checked the -A mags
    5) checked feeding of HV ammo

P22 functions fine now with Thunderbolts & American Eagle HV. S&W repairs/mods must have done the trick.

I still really like the P22, and so do my friends. If I were shopping for one now, I'd look for the 2003 date code (AD). Mine is date code 2002 (AC). You may want to wait a couple months for all bugs to be fixed in the 2003 production pieces.

(on a side note, I have >1000rnds thru a P99 9mm, no issues at all)

z537z
    (2/11/03 1:00:48 am)
    Reply Re:
    Thanks for the heads up tracker.
    How much did that work put you back? I want a plinking pistol, and don't really (sadly, I'll be 21 in August) feel like putting down 600 for that Beretta 87 (though I'd LOVE to: Italian is better).
    FTF? What was wrong with the hammer?
    I might just get that P22 come fall.

The idea of a compensator on a .22: Give me a break: And that flare on the stabilizer does look nice.

Keep the updates coming, I'd like some feedback on the cheap(er) .22 pistols.

_z

NEtracker
    (2/11/03 10:53:13 am)
    Reply More on P22
    The P22 makes a great plinker! It is also a great companion piece to my P99 9mm.
    My friends & co-workers really like the P22. The new shooters who are applying for licenses now have the P22 near the top of their list for a first training piece.

-Cost of repairs: zero, under warranty.
    -The top of the hammer would somtimes catch the slide as it cycled, increasing friction, and causing a fail to feed. S&W/Walther was aware of this issue, and has applied the same fix for other owners.
    -Re: compensator on the 5" model; this is for "cosmetic enhancement" only, it's Not a compensator, the 5" barrel is Not ported. The 5" P22 can be fired without it attached (from what I have heard, anyways).

Here's a link for the P22
    thearmedcitizen.com/handguns/santa.htm

Another..
    www.gothammarketing.com/i...&&&CODE=04

z537z
    (2/11/03 4:54:39 pm)
    Reply Thanks tracker
    Sounds pretty damn good to me.

Yeah, what I meant is that it's funny that anyone would assume that's a compensator.

I'm sure it sill fire w/o the stabilizer, I'd just rather not find out by screwing up a barrel.

Thanks for the links!

_z

scarface
    (2/11/03 8:07:35 pm)
    Reply Re: Thanks tracker
    I am building one of my sons a steel plate gun using a P22, and it will be compensated. It will be a chambered unit that replaces the barrel[tension]nut. You will not hurt your gun in anyway to shoot it without the stock fake comp.,all it does is hold your front sight[longer sight radius].
    Scarface

jp58c
    (2/16/03 11:41:36 am)

Damn good sight , glad to have found this forum.
    It's not a compensator on the P22,it's a target weight as used on other target type pistols,HKp9,hammerlli,some sw 41's had a hvy bbl,High Standard's it is used to keep recoil down though,and on target during NRA bullseye rapid fire and timed fire matches.Don't mean to be an azz on my first post,just trying to enlighten and try a bullsye match if possible,great fun and training
    SEMPER FI
    GLAD TO BE HERE

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/16/03 12:11:36 pm)
    jp58c, glad to have you with us.
    Stick around, I'm sure you'll join in right nicely

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

ZiggedandZagged@aol.com

scarface
    (2/17/03 2:16:50 pm)
    I will reluctantly concede that the fake comp. has some effect as a muzzle weight, but if you have ever had one off you would see that it is a hollowed piece of Al. and you would be hard pressed to tell if it's on the gun or not.

Extremities
    (2/19/03 10:53:58 pm)
    Reply Yay for the P22
    I'm excited to pick up a P22 shortly, as well. Thanks for the tips on the date codes. I have sold 2 of them and haven't heard any complaints so far. First one was about 6 months ago, 2nd was about 2 months ago, and we have another one en route as we speak. I've looked at the Browning Buckmark, and the Hammerli Xesse, and I'm hoping to get the Walther very soon.
  2. mcwoods2

mcwoods2 Former Guest

I just picked up a The p22 Limited Addition Combo. They're only going to make 1000 nationwide - (check it on their website). NIB - Best offer over $450.00.
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Are you talking about the one with the red dot sight and the 3.5" and 5"
  4. SouthCentral

SouthCentral New Member

Smokin Guns

I have a P22, DOB: Ulm, Germany 2003 For good safe fun at the range, I have a Walther P22 Silencer CCF/Swiss and a Walther P22 Laser Sight. Like others here, I had trouble in the beginning with loading and ejection using American AE22. I was advised to try CCI MiniMag 22LR 36 gr. CPHP-HV.
    when shooting suppressed I use Aguila Sub Sonic SE 22LR 40 gr. L-RN
    No problems with loading and ejection with either load now. I usually shoot this gun at 25 ft. and can hold pretty tight group. For those who are looking for a match grade .22, I'd recommend a High Standard Victor with the barrel weight. I have one, DOB East Hartford, CT. October, 1979
    It hold all red circle at 25 ft. and almost that tight at 50. (blame shooter, not firearm) So, if you're not going to suppress that gun, the longer the barrel the better in my opinion.

onetros

Attached Files: