Walther P38

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CountryGunsmith, Mar 4, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Silver72
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/22/03 4:37:51 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All P 38
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have been wanting a P38 for my collection but the gunshow prices I see seem high at around $695 up. A gun shop I have done business with is closing. Feb. 15th is the last day, and the owner is retiring. He has a byf 44 Serial 4503 that has some holster wear and no import marks. It has the brown grips, the dark orange color. This is one of his personal guns. When the slide is back the levers on the side are bare metal, which I heard are usually blue if the gun has been "dip blued" as most imports. The mag is marked P 38 with a waffen stamp. We are currently at a negoiated price of $520.

F.G.S., Inc. in Ohio advertises the same gun at $450 but I have heard most are now imports (sometimes under the grips and hidden) and have been dipped to refinish.

Is $520 a fair price as I have described the gun?

At least it is one I have had in my hands, removed the grips and studied with a magnifying glass.

Anything else I can look for?
    Thanks for any suggestions.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/23/03 10:02:56 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    Re: P 38
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To me, a 'fair' price is one that both the buyer and seller are happy with.

If you are satisfied that the gun is not an import, and as you say this is one you have had a chance to thoroughly examine, and the price you negotiated is within your budget, I'd say that meets the definition of 'fair.'

Silver72
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/23/03 12:04:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: P 38
    Thanks for the opnion.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/23/03 1:08:44 pm)
    If I came across one in the condition you described, I would pay $520 for it.
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/23/03 7:06:42 pm)
    Military P.38, "ac" or "byf" Coded 43-45

70% = $425
    80% = 450
    90% = 500
    95% = 550

Silver72
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/23/03 8:06:22 pm)
    Thanks for those ratings. The little bell had not rung on the $520. I keep thinking $475 to $500 tops, but maybe we are close enough. A little more haggling and we'll see.
    Thanks,
    Bill
  2. Tonysc

Tonysc New Member

i have a Walther P38 with the marking's 2695 f, 35p(under an eagle?),ac42 on the left side, an on the right side two 359 markings under eagles with n eagle between them...if that's an eagle at all. Curious as to what it all mean's?
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The "little levers" mentioned are apparently the sides of the locking block; they are always bare metal. A byf 44 would have been tank blued.

Tonysc, the 2695f is the full serial number; the letter is part of it. It appears on the front of the barrel, on the frame by the trigger, and on the left rear of the slide. The last two numbers appear on some small parts. The "ac" is the code for Walther, the original developer of the P.38 as well as the producer of a large number of them. The "42" is the year of manufacture, 1942. The slide markings you mention are two Nazi eagles with numbers and one with a swastika. The last is the German military proof mark and acceptance stamp. The others are the inspection mark for the slide, and the inspection mark for the completed gun. The number 359 (not 35p)is the code number for the officer who headed the inspection team at Walther for (I think) the entire war. His real name is not known.

Jim
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011