Walther P5 and IDPA - is it legal

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by markfsanderson, Jun 21, 2009.

1. markfsanderson

markfsanderson New Member

A quick background . . . it's been 6 or 7 years since I competed in skeet/trap/Sporting clays. I want to get back into competitive shooting. Pistol shooting and IDPA seemed to fit what I wanted to do. My reading of the one of their rules might exlclude the Walther P5 (left eject, I shoot left and really hate having shells eject across my vision field) 9mm pistol because it is a relatively rare pistols. There are rules about minimum production runs and etc that are a determining criteria. Questions:
    1. How can I easily determine how many Walther P5 pistols have been manufactured?
    2. How can I find out if the P5 is acceptable as an IDPA pistol? I didn't find any list of approved pistols, or an email address of someone who could answer a question like this on their website.

The P5 is rather expensive . . . I haven't purchased one yet . . . I'd like to find out if I can compete with it prior to purchase.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks Again!:)

Mark
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

You can email IDPA questions to....

info@idpa.com

Please DO check with them before purchasing the Walther.

I imagine you are referring to this rule....

"Have a minimum annual production of 2000 units;
    (discontinued models must have had a total production of
    20,000 units).
    "

My understanding of the rules is, to shoot in the "SSP" division
    (Stock Service Pistol Division)
    you need to have a pistol that conforms to that production specification.
    This ONLY applies if you want to shoot in the SSP division.

As long as your firearm conforms to the rules of any other division you want to shoot in, fits in the box, and doesn't have any restricted modifications, you should be good to go. But check with them first.

We are kind of lax in our restrictions. We will let people shoot just about anything, we just throw them in an "outlaw" class. We let them know that they can not compete in division finals etc. with those firearms, but hey, at least they get to shoot a match.
  3. markfsanderson

markfsanderson New Member

Thanks for the info!
    I'll email them right away.

Mark