Walther PP 7.65mm

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by fastlane, May 6, 2012.

1. fastlane

fastlane New Member

Hello,

I am fastlane:) I live in the Netherlands and I am in search for some info about my Walther PP I own for some time now. I became qurious about the marks and what they mean due to my curiosity and fascination about WWII I think I may have a war peace in my hands.

I live in a city where the war accualy also took place and where germans fought the allies. I drive my car everyday over a bridge the germans blew up in the war.

I want to know if I have a war peace in hands, the mark is a kind of bird I think a eagle and sits on a letter "N" on the barrel there is a sort of crown/branche/leave looking thing I don't know what this is but this symbol stands next to a number "70"

the serial numbers on the gun itself and the slide match but the type of script is a little bit different, is it possible that the slide comes from another peace?

Can someone tell me about the symbols and maybe someone can look up the serial number for me so I will know the year it was manufactured

please reply, thank you

Kind regards,

Fastlane;)
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I believe you have a post-war PP. The "branch" is an antler, the mark of the Ulm proof house, the "70" is the year (1970) of proof, which would also be the year of manufacture by the post-war Walther factory at Ulm, Donau.

Jim
  3. fastlane

fastlane New Member

70's is not at war time, I''m not sure what post war means, forgive me I'm Dutch hehe:rolleyes:

if the gun was manufactured in 1970 the war was long gone at that time.
    But The Eagle/N stamp must be something about the war time, it seems like a kind of Nazi stamp. I will post some pics when I made some.

Thanks for your reply. The gun still functions and has a kind of metal-bleu(ish) finish. It's not really bleu to the eye but when you hold it in a different light it seems to have the bleu finish I have read about on the internet. Correct me If I'm wrong but I recall this coulor to be a finish that was done in war time.

Kind regards;)
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Post war refers to after 1945. The Germans switched from using " Crown over an N " proof mark in 1941. Since then, even today, the German proof mark is an Eagle over an N. All of the markings indicate your Walther was made after 1945 ( Post War ). The Barrel markings your gun indicate 1970 manufacturing date. Hope this information helps.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

But note that the eagle used during WWII is not the same as the eagle used in the post (after) war period. The Nazi era eagle has straight wings; the eagle used by the BRD has down-turned wings.

The finish on the Ulm guns is conventional caustic "tank type" bluing, which is shiny and close to black, while guns made up to the beginning of WWII have a rust bluing that is both "bluer" and "softer". During the war, the finish changed to a "tank" blue then, as the quality of finish declined to a sort of gray, then to a rough gray phosphate coating (called Parkerizing" in the U.S.).

Jim
  6. fastlane

fastlane New Member

thanks guys for your reply's

The eagle on this gun has turned down wings. Like you said I remember the nazi eagle has straight wings yes.

Well what you guys reccon this is worth. I could ask you guys what it is worth over sea but I don't live there. I'm not thinking about selling the piece I'm just cirious. I guess you guys only know what it is worth in your region, I don't care you can tell me then:D

But whats does this Letter N mean, it must stand for something right?
    It doesn't stand for nazi thats for sure hehe:rolleyes:

Kind regards.
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The "N" stands for "Nitro", from nitrocellulose powder, commonly called smokeless powder in contrast to black powder. It means the gun was proved with smokeless powder and is safe to be used with cartridges loaded with that powder.

Assuming 95% condition, that gun would bring about $500 in the U.S. I don't know what it would bring in the Netherlands.

Jim
  8. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Actually, the 7.65 caliber holds the value down to $400 at the most. In .380 it would be worth about $550, and in .22 about $700.