Walther PP confusion.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Krygy, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Krygy

Krygy New Member

Hey guys. I'm a new member to the forums as well as a new owner of a Walther PP.
    This PP has my curiosity peaked. I've been doing research online, including this forum, and I can't quite figure out my gun.
    The serial number is 290757P. With the serial number on both the frame and slide. Walther banner on the black grip as normal. No stamps on the slide, frame OR the chamber. But a worn eagle stamp on the right side of the barrel. It has a "G" stamped on the back hand/thumb guard 'point'. The clip says Walther pp 7,65m/m. The pistol has no model description on it. It looks most like the 3rd variation on this website here. Minus all the writing on it. (http://www.tague.at/pistolen/en_index.htm?/pistolen/pages/en_waltherpp.htm) I don't know if all the writing on it was rubbed off, I haven't a clue. I wouldn't say the gun is in bad shape but it has been used. I will try and get pictures up, but I can't take them off my iPhone for some reason.
  2. Krygy

Krygy New Member

I managed to email the photos to myself.

Attached Files:

3. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

You have a 1944 gun. The late war guns were put together pretty quickly and finishing was not up to early war standards. Many of the markings were just left off.

Interesting piece.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

As StoneChimney says, normal markings were omitted on late war guns and a 1944 may or may not have them. But the normal slide markings were shallow (etched, not stamped) and easily removed. The gun appears to have been heavily buffed and even the stamped serial number has been almost obliterated.

I suspect the gun was rusted at one time, and someone removed the rust and whatever remained of the original finish, perhaps on a belt sander, along with whatever markings there were. (Note the flattening of the slide serrations, as well as the rounded corners.) The blue appears to be cold blue. Unfortunately, the gun is a shooter with no collector value.

Jim
  5. Danny

Danny Member

Your pistol was manufactured in 1942. To me, as a collector, that pistol shows a whole lot of service. With the condition of this weapon, it would fall in a shooter grade. You may evaluate the price at 3 or 350, if you are lucky.
    Kind Regards
    Danny
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I accepted the 1944 date without checking - my bad! In 1942, Walther was definitely putting on their standard markings, so they have been removed.

Jim
  7. Krygy

Krygy New Member

All good by me guys. I bought this thing for myself, not to sell. Thanks for the info. I only payed $350 for it. Any ideas on what the "G" is for? I've never seen it mentioned.
    Thanks
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I have no idea. Anyone?

Jim