Walther PP Post WWII?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dupczak, Jan 29, 2009.

1. dupczak

dupczak New Member

I have a Walther PP for which I would like to know the value and when it was produced.

It is marked Waffenfabrik Walther Zella-Mehlis (thur) Walther patent cal 7.65 m/m. It is a Model PP with serial number 800907. It has black plastic grips with the magazine release on the left.

It is in very good condition. It has no rust with slight wear of the bluing caused by the holster, which I also have. The holster is the original leather, marked with Walther, and is in fair condition (some cracking of the leather, the strap is still attached and complete).

I have one magazine.

The weapon operates perfectly and handles well when fired.
  2. Danny

Danny Member

:) Your pistol is not post war but a prewar one. It was manufactured in 1933. Sounds like a very nice pistol and should have the the covered firing pin plate. After that they were not covered. I only collect prewar Walthers and keep a track of prices. To give u a correct value we really need a picture of both sides including the grip straps.U really need 2 mags to make a correct rig. It will enhance the value alot. Hope this info helps ya?
    Regards
    Danny
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

The holster sounds interesting. I am not familiar with prewar holsters marked "Walther." If you can, let us see some pics of the gun and the holster with shots of the markings.
  4. dupczak

dupczak New Member

I have uploaded four photos. First is the pistol, magazine and holster. Second is the other side of the holster. Third and fourth are the left and right sides of the pistol.

I appreciate all of your assistance. It is a fine weapon.

Attached Files:

5. dupczak

dupczak New Member

I forgot to mention that the Walther name is visible on the open flap of the holster, just below the leather button at the top.
  6. PetahW

PetahW New Member

I think I need a new set of eyes :eek: - the pistol in the top pic looks like my PP, but the other two pics make the gripframe look as short (to me) as a PPK. :confused:

7. dupczak

dupczak New Member

I can guarantee the weapon is marked as a Model PP.
  8. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Yes, I see the Walther marking which was rubber sstamped inside the holster. Usually it is stamped "Walther PP" or "Walther PPK." Incidentally, the pistol strikes me as having been reblued. Is that right?
  9. dupczak

dupczak New Member

I seriously doubt it was reblued. My father remarried after the death of my mother. His second wife's first husband brought the PP back from WWII. I don't think her first husband would know enough about weapons to have it reblued. Besides, that would require paying someone to do it and he did not have any money to do so.

I've seen reblued weapons (I am retired Federal law enforcement) and do not see this pistol as being reblued. It truly appears to be in original condition with no major work having been done to it. Obviously, I cannot attest to anything before I took possession of it, especially for anything before 1945.

I do not have intentions of selling it at this time. I am curious as to when it was manufactured, and would like its value for insurance purposes.

I do appreciate the input from the people on this forum.
  10. PetahW

PetahW New Member

I didn't mean to imply that your pistol was a PPK, since the PP-type backstrap can be clearly seen.

I was referring to how the grip lengths appeared differently, between your pics, on my box.

To answer your question, the pistol in question dates from the early 1930's, if not 1930 - since IIRC Walther's 1929 production started with SN 750000.

11. Danny

Danny Member

The pistol was manfactured in 1933 for sure.
    Danny
  12. dupczak

dupczak New Member

Thanks for establishing its age. Any ideas as to its value?

After closer examination (re: stronger magnifying glass) I noticed the barrel and slide had the crown over N symbol, thus tying it to pre-war production.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2009