walther pp question

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ggent001, Sep 29, 2009.

1. ggent001

ggent001 New Member

Hello. My Grandfather brought this pistol back from ww2. I am trying to find out as much information about it as I can. The serial number on the gun is 906620. The barrel reads: waffen fabrik walther, zella-mehlis (thur) , walthers patent cal 7.65 m/m. It has the crown/N on it. I have seen many versions of this pistol online and they all look similar so it is hard for me, not knowing that much about them, to know which variety mine is. I am curious to know if it is of the more common variety, and what it might be worth(aprox) I don't ever plan on selling it just curious about that.Thanks so much.
    Geoff

Attached Files:

2. RJay

RJay Active Member

Crown N was the German proof marking until approximately 1940/41, you also have the old 90 degree safety that was last used in 1938. You should also be lacking a loaded chamber indicator. Serial number block 753,000 to 942,000was purchased by the Police headquarters,Munich between 1931 and1937. So off hand I would say you have a police issued PP. Are there any other markings or letters on the gun anywhere? Values have gone up for any WWII era PP's.. We have a knowledgeable collector who can give a more accurate value. hope that helps.
  3. ggent001

ggent001 New Member

No, there are no other markings on the pistol. It just has the writing that I posted and the crown/N. The crown/N appears on the barrel, and directly above on the ejection port. The mark I was refering to is just a ding. I have been told that this was a commercial pistol that would have been sold to citizens after they applied for a gun. If you dont mind my asking, where did you find the info about those serial numbers being sold to the police? I assume that this is a pretty common version of the walther pp. Still, I am very intrigued. Thanks for helping me.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  4. RJay

RJay Active Member

Dieter H. Marschell " Walther Pistols, Model 1 Through P99". Walther would take blocks of frames and put them up for later use. Yes, if there are no police markings it could very well be a commercial sold gun. But very few people in Germany at the time were allowed to purchased handguns, You had to have connections.. No it is not a common garden variety PP. It was one of the early ones with the 90 degree safety and no cartridge indicator. That makes it more desirable to some collectors.
  5. Danny

Danny Member

:)Hello,
    Ron is correct on some of the info, but there is some info I disagree with. No disrespect intended Ron.
    First of all the 90 degree safety is a plus on the pistol, as it follows the last PP's that had them in 1935. That is the date of manufacture for your gun. It should have the loaded pin indicator in front of the hammer. In other words, there is nothing suggesting it to be of great value. Just knowing it was my Grandpa's would be of a value that could not be bought at any price. However with insurance purposes, I would put 700 on it, as the appearence suggests a 85% grade firearm. Keep it oiled & in a safe place so you can pass it down to your kids.
    Kindest Regards
    Danny
  6. ggent001

ggent001 New Member

I have seen a chart where my serial number falls on the year 1936 for production. I am guessing that because of the lack of records we have to estimate that it was made some time between 1935 and 1938. Would this be correct? we can determine this because of the 90 degree safety? is there any way to pin this time period down? There seems to be some disagreement about when it was manufactured.

Secondly, would I be safe to assume from both of your posts that this was most likely used as a police pistol even though it doesn't have the police markings?
    Thanks
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  7. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I would never sell anything that my father or grandfather brought back from war. I would put some oil on it, though and keep it clean. Yours is starting to pit and get rust. Keep it oiled and you got yourself an heirloom. TJ
  8. ggent001

ggent001 New Member

I would never sell the gun. I plan to keep it in the best shape I can.Thanks to all for your help in identifying the pistol.
    G