Walther PP 'WALPP32N' Info wanted PLEASE

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Gaddock, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Gaddock

Gaddock New Member

I've been trying to get info about this PP for some time. I Bought it for my wife. At 25 feet she put the entire clip in a 4 inch group all inside the heart circle. As A PROUD husband I saved the target. Bummer is it jams every few rounds. Maybe that's what has kept it in mint condition. I would greatly appreciate any information or lineage of this fine pistol. I've not even shot it.

I purchased this minty Walther PP that appeared to be new old stock over ten years ago in the original box with target, cleaning rod, owners manual and one extra mag.

It is a model 'WALPP32N PP 32ACP WALTHER NICKEL' This is written on a sticker that has a couple of bar codes on the box. On that sticker there are two other sets of numbers ... the one above the two bar codes is 502631 the lower being the serial number 438141.

The other sticker has Walther PP cal. 7,65 mm Serien- NR. 438141 The box is a black plastic box that also has a sticker on top that says WALTHER PP/PPK

On the barrel in the ejection port there is an Eagle over N, the number 74 and the 'antler' proof mark. It has no alpha numeric markings. The same serial number is on the slide preceded by the same Eagle over N as on the barrel as well as the frame/recireceiver.

Two thirds down the barrel there are two very small one line marks. One looks like a tiny eagle(?) and another looks like a one line like steer horns, not at all like the antler proof, over a tiny n. They are very close to each other and I've not heard the same described.

On the left side of the slide it is written ... Walther Made in W. Germany Carl Walther Waffenfabrik ULM / DO Modell PP Cal. 7.65 mm.

The proof target also has the correct serial number with seven shots that all hit home and signed by "B"

It apparently was imported into the US by C.D.I. Swan. VT. As this is written on the receiver above and a little forward of the trigger.

The dealer I bought it from claimed it was used by the Danish police. It does have a pronounced laniard ring that can move forward and back.

ANY THOUGHTS OR INFO OR POSSIBLE VALUE will he HUGELY appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Your Walther is definitely a surplus Danish police pistol. These were brought into this country in large numbers about fifteen years ago, and sold for $299. They are of postwar German manufacture, and are good quality weapons. You failed to describe the way in which it jams. Does it stovepipe? Does it just fail to eject? Does it just fail to feed? Please explain exactly what is happening. You probably have one of the following problems: 1. Ammo should be full jacketed round nose 2. Magazine lips or spring many be defective 3. Recoil spring may need replacing.
  3. Gaddock

Gaddock New Member

Awesome! Just as I thought and I very much appreciate your confident answer. It stovepipes. I've recently read that the ammo these were made for would be considered in the US somewhere between ++P and +P. I kept the old springs and got a new set. After replacement and much stiffer in double action no change in reliability. And I mean just the same .... no more no less. This came with W. German black plastic furniture on it. I've seen many that have off white but that seems a bit 'gentlemanly' for police work even in Dania (I love that place and found myself wondering around Christiana back in the late seventies. I've been told I had a good time there :)

The guy wanted $350 we passed, the next day we went back and it was the last day of the gun show and he let us have it for $290. I was thrilled given the condition. I still am.

Thanks BIG BIG BIG!!
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The next step in troubleshooting your Walther is to get a new magazine and give it a try. I would say 90% of stovepipes are due to the feed lips on the magazine. ( note there are two different types of magazines for the Walther PP. prewar and post war, the post war has a rib on the side.) They will not interchange. Yes, European .32 ACP is loaded a little hotter but your Walther should operate on the good, the bad and the ugly. By the way, until the 1970's or so, European police thought the .32 ACP was adequate for their purpose.
  5. popgun

popgun New Member

I have a danish police PP also, had the same problems until I had all the springs changed. One question does yours have the loaded chamber indicater? These were omitted from the second order of pistols due to cracking in the first batch.
  6. Gaddock

Gaddock New Member

YES it sure does. I always thought that was a redundant / screwy way let one know their weapon was chambered. You can see / feel in the dark the extractor protrude (if I'm correct, long time since I've loaded it and have no .32 around the house). I understand the ones that don't carry quite a premium for being a limited run.

Thanks for ALL your comments.
  7. Gaddock

Gaddock New Member

Very interesting ... not sure what you mean by ribs but I'm 99% mine do not. I'm going to google it and see if I can find pics of each.

Any maker of a new set of springs that you consider as superior to the rest?

Again, thanks for your comment(s).