Walther PPK 7.65

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by pdmii, Dec 26, 2011.

1. pdmii

pdmii New Member

I have a Walther PPK .32 that my grandfather brought back from Germany. The serial number is 272684K which I do know is from 1940. What I can not figure out is what the marking is and the number 569 that is stamped above the magazine release and then further below behind the trigger. I have seen all the info about the crown and then the letter N, but nothing on the markings of my gun. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Can you post a clear picture?
  3. pdmii

pdmii New Member

Also has one of the original magazines and holster. Great gun that I let my son shoot until he is ready for something bigger.

Attached Files:

4. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

I believe that is a poorly struck WaA359, which is correct for Walther in Zella-Mehlis in 1940.
  5. RJay

RJay Active Member

:D Waffenamt Mark 359 makes more sense, I researched the number you first gave 569 and it didn't compute. Military acceptance marks of E/359-E/AaA359 was first used in 1940/1941. You may want to change those grips if you continual shooting the gun, they are fragile and the grips alone will bring 250 to 300 dollars:) Value, , the prices are rising on all WWII items, especially the Walther's with correct markings. If the holster is correct and the gun looks to be in good condition, I would guess 1200. However that is just a guesstimate on my part, others my have a more current estimate. If it were mine I would stop shooting it, but that is just me.
  6. victor h

victor h New Member

i have a walther ppk serial number 200833k the thing i cant understand is the eagle over x with a c stamped besides on the frame and the barrell and slide are stamped crown over n i realy want to know the history of this gun
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  7. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Victor h, your PPK was manufactured in 1939 and was a Nazi police-issue gun. The Eagle over X is actually an Eagle over a swastika. The Crown over N are just typical proof marks from the period.

If you can post good clear pictures we might can tell more about it including ballpark value.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

359 was the number assigned to the head of the WaffenAmt inspection team at Walther. He seems to have been there throughout the war, probably a pretty good assignment.

The presence of a WaA stamp on an otherwise commercial pistol indicates it was taken into Army service, either bought as part of a special order or diverted out of stock due to military needs. Later small pistol production all went to the Army and had the WaA mark but not the commercial eagle/N proof; in the final months of WWII, the Walther markings were replaced with the military "ac" code.

The eagle/swastika with C, F, or L indicates police procurement. I have been trying for some time to determine the actual meaning of the letters, but have not been successful, so if someone knows or can cite a reference, I would appreciate it.

The "eagle/swastika C" is the least common and can bring a price premium.

Jim