Walther ppk and Luger value help?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Boyle, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Boyle

Boyle New Member

Any info I can get would be great. I recieved these from my grandfather who brought them back after WWII. Im not interested in getting rid of them just wondering their value. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Boyle

Boyle New Member

pics

Attached Files:

3. Boyle

Boyle New Member

more pics

Attached Files:

4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

The Luger is a mixed parts gun made up of third reich parts and pre-Nazi parts. It has a value as a shooter of around $650. Add about $200 for the holster and $175 for the extra magazine and loading tool, and you come up with a ball park value of about $1025.

The PPK appears to be a a commercial model in decent condition, possibly late war, but it's too difficult to tell from the dark blurry pictures. The value would be somewhere around $1200.
  5. kx1a

kx1a Member

Just curious abt the PPK.. Aren't crown over N proofmarks prewar??
    Bill W
  6. SSMN

SSMN Member

No...Crown/N proofs continued until April !940. Then the change to Eagle/N was made. So the C/N is both prewar and wartime.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  7. Danny

Danny Member

Wonder U R right on the money with the 1935 ppk. We need better pics of the Luger to give you an acquirement price. R the mags numbered on either weapon?
    And yes Bill, the crown n was the prewar stamp.
    Regards
    Danny:)
  8. Danny

Danny Member

Wonder U R right on the money with the 1935 ppk. however the mag with the 7.65 is war time , & will hurt the value a tad bit. We need better pics of the Luger to give you an accurate price. R the mags numbered on either weapon?
    And yes Bill, the crown n was the prewar stamp.
    Regards
    Danny:)
  9. SSMN

SSMN Member

Neither mag will be factory numbered to match the PPK

Also Crown/N proofs while certainly prewar continued until April 1940 which is considered wartime...1939-1945
  10. Boyle

Boyle New Member

Thanks for all the info guys, sorry the pics suck its my phone camera, only one i have. One of the Luger mags has matching numbers, one doesnt and the wood bottom one has nothing on it. The walther mags have no numbers on them.
  11. Danny

Danny Member

That is great Boyle. Even one numbered mag with the Luger helps to increase the value.. If you could take pics of the top of the frame, that would help in judging the price. Make sure all the small parts have the same 2 digits on them. Some grips on the inside were also numbered.
    David why are you saying the mags could not be numbered? He did not show the muzzle, so perhaps it is SS issued, or even better there is no pic of the front or rear sights being painted, so it could even be a Reichsbank pistol? And all the dumb things to point out, from one collector to another, about the c/n being stopped in 1940 & Bill you are correct.
    Danny
  12. Boyle

Boyle New Member

The top of the frame has no markings, all pieces from what I can tell have the 83 on them. Grips just have the s/42 on the inside, there is no paint on the sights only blueing.
  13. SSMN

SSMN Member

The question was "Aren't Crown over N proofmarks prewar?"
    The answer is C/N proofmarks were both prewar and extended into wartime.

Reichsbank PPKs were much earlier than the serial number of this PPK. In the 766 XXX range, nearly 100,000 before this gun. This one would not have a FE numbered mag.

SS/RSHA issued guns did not start appearing with factory numbered magazines until the middle of the non-RZM muzzle marked range. The earliest known factory numbered magazine for a muzzle marked PPK is nearly 100,000 guns after this one.

Personal insults are not necessary but not unexpected.
  14. Danny

Danny Member

With all the German, prewar & war time, pistols, any variations are expected. Thats why I wanted to ask the member this question, to be sure.
    Boyle your Luger is a Mauser S 42, it should have a date on top of the receiver.
    Can you email me better pics of the Luger at drbow50@yahoo.com?
    Kind Regards
    Danny
  15. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

On the Luger I see Nazi era parts and a DWM toggle, making this a mixed parts gun. Even if one of the mags matches the frame, it is still a shooter and the value remains the same as I quoted previously.