Walther PPK Model PP

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by JBomgardner, Feb 28, 2009.

1. JBomgardner

JBomgardner New Member

I am trying to determine the value and/or history of a Walther PPK I bought from a WWII veteran who advised he obtained the weapon while in Germany near the end of the war there. This gun is in excellent condition with some bluing gone near the muzzle. It has the longer barrel consistent with the PP model. It has a black plastic grip bearing the Walther symbol and came with a black leather flap holster that carries an additional magazine. I was told this gun had not been fired from the gentleman I bought it from and I have never fired it either.

Markings: On frame, Walther inside of a scroll, Waffenfabrik Walther, Zetta-Mehlis (Thur) Walthers Patent Cal 7.65 m/m Mod PP. Serial #872105. LE is stamped below the serial #.

I will be able to post photos next week. Any help in determining this gun's value would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

J - Welcome to TFF.

I may be wrong on this because there are so many PPK variations shown the the Blue Book of Gun Values. Here is the information as I see it:

*Model PPK PPK Marked PP
    100% - $2650
    98% - $2150
    95% - $1850
    90% - $1600
    80% - $1400

IF it is a wartime production it would have been manufactured from 1940 to 1945. After April 1940 it would have a "Eagle N" proof mark and the above values would be correct.

If it has a "Crown N" proof mark then it would have been produced before 1940 and the value of it would be as follows:

100% - $950
    98% - $700
    95% - $450
    90% - $350
    80% - $300

If I am wrong, someone please jump in here and correct me.
  3. JBomgardner

JBomgardner New Member

Thanks gdmoody. I believe that this is a crown N model. (I am not sure what the crown above the N looks like, but it doesn't look like an eagle) Mod PP is stamped just above the magazine release. Does this mean the value is of the higher amount that you indicated, or is it the lower amount?
  4. Danny

Danny Member

Hello/
    Does it have a 2 piece grip? The sn puts it in 1936 production era. What has me stumped is the le under the sn. Are u sure it is not a PP?
    Danny
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

The crown really doesn't look like a crown, to me anyway. To me, it looks like a picture of a parachute with an N attached to it!!

Danny's post says it was produced in 1936, he probably knows more about them than I do.

The Blue book says that if it has the Crown N, it is a pre-war pistol and would be worth the lesser amounts.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  6. JBomgardner

JBomgardner New Member

Danny, I believe this is a PP because it is stamped Mod PP and it has the longer barrel associated with the PP model carried by the German Police. I don't know if it has a 2 piece grip. I have included photos. Hopefully you can help me.

Attached Files:

7. JBomgardner

JBomgardner New Member

Thanks, I am now sure it is a crown N.
  8. Danny

Danny Member

It surley is a PP 1936 as I have one in the same year, but mine is 22cal. Plus I have all the other ones down to 1929. Do not be mislead on the price. There are collectors like me that put more value on the prewar pistols ,as they put pride in them when making . The Nazi guns were being turned out so fast the quality of workmanship was lost. From looking at your pistol with the holster u mentioned should fetch 1200 or more to the right buyer. I am going to try & find what that le is? Hope this helps:)
    Regards
    Danny
  9. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Don't know why the PPK ever came up. This is a nice early 90 degree safety PP commercial model. I think the extra letters are some kind of private property mark.
  10. JBomgardner

JBomgardner New Member

Danny, Thanks again for your help on this. You sound like you have a lot of knowledge about this particular gun. I am interested in selling this gun. I would like to know if you are perhaps interested or you might know of a private dealer that would be interested in purchasing this gun, could you let me know.

If you are willing, could you provide an email address or contact number so that I might ask you a few questions about the appropriate way to sell this gun. I am in law enforcement and it is important to me that I follow any and all regulations necessary.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  11. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  12. jonap211

jonap211 New Member

Can anyone help me find a firing pin (I have the spring) for a PPK/S in .22 LR? The s/n is 1147XX. It's stamped "Made in West Germany" and is an Interarms US import. Any help out there? Email me directly.

Thank you.

JAK
  13. RJay

RJay Active Member

14. Jim K

Jim K New Member

FWIW, the new German commercial proof law, which changed the crown mark to an eagle, became effective in Germany on 1 April 1940. The changeover was not instantaneous, but in general any Geman gun made before that date will have the crown style proof; any gun made after that will have the eagle. (Military contract arms will have the appropriate military inspection and acceptance/proof marks, not the civilian proofs.)

Jim