Walther ppk question from newbie

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by kx1a, Jul 21, 2009.

1. kx1a

kx1a Member

Well two part question actually
    I recently aquired a PPK with a police proof, eagle over x with an adjacent C. The serial number is 389051 K Is there any way of figuring out what year it was made?
    Also, What are the best reference books on Walthers?
    Thanks, Bill W
  2. Danny

Danny Member

Hello Bill,
    According to my small data bank, from years of collecting, your pistol was manufactured in 1942. A good book to gather info from is Walther Pistols A Historical Review by Dieter Marschall. Though I have never met the man we call ourselves friends from all the emails sent back & forth over the years. The book is really not that expensive and loaded with great info, if you start collecting these fine little handguns. Hope this helps?
    Kind Regards
    Danny
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

:)It's very easy to get a headache researching Walther serial numbers, Even the experts argue over them. The War played havoc on Walther's records. I believe your serial number range is 1942. Danny, one of the contributors is the real expert and perhaps he will pop in to confirm or deny It. One decent book { there are several } is Dieter H. Marschall's book " Walther Pistols, Model 1 through P99 " Looks like Danny beat me to it by a few seconds:)
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  4. kx1a

kx1a Member

Thank you gentlemen,
    I now at least have a year for the pistol. I was able to pick this piece up recently along with it's capture papers and a brown leather holster stamped WERSA over 1941 over Munchen. The soldier who "captured" it wrote his name and serial number inside. The name matches the capture papers. I did a search on Amazon for the two books by Marschall that you mentioned and could find no matches. Also, searching on the author brought up what appears to be books written in German which unfortunately is no help for me. At any rate, thanks again for the info
    Bill W
  5. kx1a

kx1a Member

Ahhhhh. Found the Marschall book on Gun Show Books

Bill
  6. kx1a

kx1a Member

The Marschall book arrived today. Thanks for the info guys. One more question if I may.......Are the Rankin series of books of any value?

Bill W
  7. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Rankin's books are the bible of Walther PPs and PPKs. They are a must for serious collectors.