Walther PPK/S Cal.9mm kurz/.380ACP

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by LaurieAndChadE, Jul 26, 2010.

1. LaurieAndChadE

LaurieAndChadE New Member

My husband and I purchased a gun for me in December 2002. We paid $548 out the door. I have put maybe 1 or 2 boxes of ammo through the gun. I have found another gun I like to carry, so I am looking at possibly selling this one.

Can someone tell me what this gun is worth on the open market?

On the right side of the gun:
    .380ACP (on the barrell visible through the slide)
    Walther logo
    Smith & Wesson
    Houlton, ME USA

On the left side of the gun:
    Walther logo
    Under License of
    Carl Walther Waffenfabrik Ulm/Do.
    Modell PPK/S Cal.9mm kurz/.380ACP

I have:
    original receipt
    black field case with foam lining it came in
    2 magazines/clips
    owners manual
    a sealed envelope (I have no idea what's in it, but there is a pic attached)
    sealed lock and keys
    the handgun

Greatly appreciate any feedback!

Attached Files:

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I would venture a guess that the amount you should be able to get for it is between $400 and $450. This is strictly a guess based on the information in the 30th edition of the Blue Book of Gun Values.

Smith and Wesson did a recall on the PPK/S pistols manufactured between 3/21/02 - 2/3/09. They advised owners to discontinue use and to return them to the factory for free repair. I don't know it this one falls in that category but you should be able to check the S&W website for the serial number range.

The sealed envelope has a fired case in it.
  3. LaurieAndChadE

Yes, after I posted this thread, I went back to look more closely at the envelope. I saw "rifling char" and realized what it was. I did not know they did that, but with all the databases these days, I should have...LOL

Thanks for the recall information too. I hadn't come across that, since we haven't used the gun much. I have contacted them through the website, because it does appear my serial number falls within that range.

Much appreciation! Not only for the reply, but also for your service to our country!
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

You would be better off money-wise in selling the gun directly (if that is legal in your state), but as a practical matter, a trade-in usually is easier and with fewer pitfalls, like selling the gun to the wrong person.

Some states (NY, MD, and possibly others) require submission of a fired case when a new pistol is sold. Since the gun is proof fired anyway, and to avoid the trouble of separating those guns from others, many makers just include the case with all their guns.

Jim
  5. LaurieAndChadE

As far as selling, that is what I am most interested in.

I believe it is legal in my state, as long as the gun is not purchased with the intention of selling it. I think that's the gist of the law.

I suppose I could trade it, but I really do not need another one, now that I have one I like to fire.

Wondering how the recall/repair is going to affect the value of this gun?!
  6. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Member

You should go ahead and have it fixed--S&W uses a punch to mark those guns that have been repaired. There was a problem with these arms going off when the decocking lever was used. Rather than risk selling it to someone who gets hurt and then sues you for selling a defective firearm, you'd be better off waiting a few weeks--the repair and shipping is free. I would think a repaired firearm would be more desireable and worth more than a defective one. And this particular model has also had well known reliability issues, so you already have that working against you.