Walther PPK/S for CC?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by daxmanio, Sep 8, 2003.

1. daxmanio

daxmanio New Member

Hi! I'm a newbie here and i'd like to know the pros and cons of using a Walther PPK/S as a concealed carry weapon. How is its reliability? Stopping power? I hope someone could share his/her experiences with the gun whether bad or good.

Thanks,

DAX

Attached Files:

2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Hi DAX and welcome to our forum. Although I cannot help in your question, I'm sure our resident experts will be around shortly. Glad to have you with us.
  3. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Welcome to TFF, daxmanio!

Aside from the .380 being a bit on the small side, I would say the PPK is an excellent weapon for carrying concealed. It's an excellent design. I just personally wouldn't trust my life to a .380.
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Hi daxmanio. Welcome to TFF!

Hope you will join us often and post often.
  5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

The Walther is a good , reliable weapon . If you are going to carry a 9mm for self defense, I'd load the Walther with Cor-Bon ammo. Federal also makes a good personal protection ammo.
  6. Logansdad

Logansdad New Member

I'd load it with Glaser Safety Slugs
  7. skiingfool1974

skiingfool1974 New Member

Welcome to TFF Dax!

Walther makes a fine pistol, however a .380 doesn't have as much stopping power as I would like. For a CC gun, I personally don't want anything smaller than a 9mm. The 3 CC guns that I carry are a .40, and 2 .45 1911's. What it boils down to is what gun can you handle well, that feels comfortable to shoot, and can be concealed well. If it's only a little .25, so be it. There's no point in carrying a .44 is you can't hit anything, or get a 2nd shot off.

Shoot a bunch of different guns in different callibers, and see what fits you the best, then practice, practice, practice.

Good luck,

Evan
  8. daxmanio

daxmanio New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice everyone!
    I'll certainly have to try out those cor-bon, federal and glaser slugs at the range once i acquire a few samples. For the meantime, i only have access to military spec 9mm ball as you call it..

Thanks again everyone!
  9. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Daxmanio, welcome to TFF.

The PPK/S is a very well made and reliable weapon.....however, as others have said, .380 is on the lower end of acceptable defensive cartridges.

If you already own one, it's certainly better than nothing at all....easy to conceal, has minimal recoil, and reasonably accurate at defensive distances.

If you're merely considering getting a defensive firearm, I'd look for something more powerful.....9mm or .38 Special at a minimum.

However, when considering a Concealed Carry Weapon, much depends on your build and stature.....what you can comfortably conceal, and how large a caliber you can control and shoot well.

It's what fits you best that really counts.
  10. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

Daxmanio -

First off, welcome to TFF. Glad to have you aboard.

The Walther PPK is a solid platform that functions flawlessly when cared for properly. It's compact size and design serve well as a concealed carry firearm.

The standard .380 caliber, or 9x18 round, generally, is considered bottom line effective for personal self defense.

However, with the offerings from CorBon, Glaser and Federal (Hydra Shocks), the line is bumped up a bit. The ultimate "success" of any of these rounds is centered around shot placement.

Not being a powerhouse round, using the .380 requires more than a point and shoot (at center mass) mentality. Shot placement must be precice to specific areas for it to be effective in a defensive situation.

Having confidence in, and a thorough knowledge of the operation of, the weapon will also aid in bring it to bear quickly if needed. This latter statement, though, is directed toward all defensive weapons, not specifically the Walther.

While I have no personal experience with a Wlther, I do have experience and confidence with the Bersa 380, and the ammunition I have in it, I carry when I am not toteing my Kahr. K40.