Walther PPK /S

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by johnredwood, Apr 24, 2009.

1. johnredwood

johnredwood New Member

Hello I am new to the forum. I had a new Walther PPK/S some years ago when it was manufactured, I believe by Interarms out of Virginia, the weapon at that time malfunctioned quite often because of manufacturing issues. I sent it back to them, they sent me a check for the weapon. I liked the weapon and purchased another new one from a different shop--same issues.

Does anyone know about the current status of this weapon, i.e. are there alot of reported problems with the new ones? And I do not recall what is the difference between the PPK and PPK/S models?

thanks,

John
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

First off, welcome to the forum! We're an odd--but fun--bunch, and we're really rather friendly. Please do stick around and join in the fray.

The PPK and PPK/S are some of the most-copied handguns in history. They are generally reliable, but it sounds like you definitely got a lemon. Sorry to hear that.

Smith and Wesson makes the new Walther-licensed versions, and I've heard mixed reports. Some of the forum members here have had great experience with them, while others (particularly Pinecone70, I think) have had nothing but trouble. I don't have one, so I can't offer a personal opinion.

As for the difference between the two, the PPK/s has a slightly longer handle to accomodate a one-round magazine capacity increase.
  3. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I've had nothing but problems with mine, manufactured by Smith & Wesson, which I bought in November of last year.

The first issue was the extractor falling out during firing. I sent it in for warranty work and got it back in approximately three weeks.

The second issue was the recall in February for a hammer block safety problem, I sent it back on April 7th and haven't seen it since.

I liked the gun, fired a total of 68 rounds out of it since November. It would be very nice if it worked properly I'm sure. It came with Crimson Trace grips, seemed like just the thing for my concealed carry intentions. But now I have been set back on that class and still don't have my expensive gun, can't get ammo for it anyway.

Oh, and the real kicker is the letter I received today, telling me not to fire my gun because of the recall issue, and to send it in immediately. Um, it's at the factory....

I have to admit, I will probably keep the gun, but will not be purchasing anything new from Smith anymore.
  4. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Jinx!

LOL!
  5. obxned

obxned New Member

If you like the PPK, try the Bersa .380 - it costs much less, doesn't bite the hand that feeds it, and works it like should.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  6. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

If you'd be willing to buy a used gun, try to find an older PPK/S that is 100% German-made. The new "Walther" PPK/S is made by Smith and Wesson....blarg! I have a P99 and it's 100% German and very reliable (almost 700 rounds and not the first problem). I don't even like have the Smith and Wesson import stamp on my P99 :p

+1 on the Bersa. Those are pretty good guns there.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  7. BillP

BillP New Member

Oddly enough, one of the most reliable of the PPK copies (not clones) is the communist block Mackarove. It even fires a slightly more potent round although .380 versions have been made. I don't have any personal experience but others appear to really like them. They have been made by various manufacturers as has the PPK and I am sure that someone here can head you in the right direction as to which are the best. I find the PPK to be a bit heavy for a .380. If I am going to tote that much weight, I would want a 9MM PB.
  8. George Peacock

George Peacock New Member

If you have feeding problems with a Stainless Steel PPK, try having it throated and polished at the ramp, did it with mine, works just fine now, but if you want ultimate reliability, stick with the West German Blue Steel PPK /s, hundreds of rounds, no problems there.

Good luck. George P.
  9. Rangedog

Rangedog New Member

Hello Everyone....new to the forum...it looks great!

I fell in love with my PPK/S right away...fit on my hip perfectly. Liked the weight, the feel and the accuracy.

I had the same problems with mine in the beginning. However, the recall came out just a few weeks after I got mine and I hadn't had the time to break it in with enough rounds at the range.

I sent it back right away, under the recall, and just got it back last week. While examining the gun I noticed that they had also polished the ramp to a high gloss shine.

I took it to the range for the first time Sunday and WOW!!!!! Not one jam, not one misfire....I'm in love again!!!!

The only downside is the cost of .380 ammo.....I just can't believe it. I will shoot it - once in a while now - maybe try some reloads for practice rounds and SD grade for personal carry.

Bob
  10. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

The hammer block safety recall? They have had mine for 10 1/2 weeks now and could not confirm that they even had it when I contacted S&W. I hope mine comes back soon.

On a side note, I have been buying .380s for $19/box of 50 since November--when I can find them in stock.
  11. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

after reviewing the massive number of recalls smith and wesson has had over the past 15 years i'm shocked anyone would still consider them as top rate firearms company. the recalls are public knowledge and can be found by googling smith and wesson recalls. it's honestly shocking.
  12. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

I must agree with the comments concerning the S&W models. The German ones are much better. I carried one for many years as a backup weapon when I was in LE. Dependable and accurate. (make sure to position your thumbs correctly while firing ....)
  13. macro01

macro01 New Member

are there quality differences with the S&W made PPK/S and the interarms made ones?
  14. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I can only chip in on the Hungarian FEG, which is pretty much a makarov and thus in the same family. Mine's in .32ACP, and the only issues I've had are ammo related. Flat point bullets didn't work well. I have yet to "tune" the ramp to see if this helps. I prefer round nose FMJ's anyhow since the little .32 is short on penetration.
    I must say that for some reason I just love shooting this little gun. Don't know why, I usually like much larger handguns like my Ruger Redhawk .44mag.
  15. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I never sent my S&W PPK/s in on the recall. I like carrying it too much to part with it.

When I decock, I hold the hammer back with my thumb and lower it on the block. If my thumb slips, which is not likely if you know how easy that hammer is to hold back, the hammer hits the block, as designed. I figure the odds of an AD/ND while lowering the hammer on a weapon designed to decock,and the safety/block are engaged, is astronomically unlikely.

I wouldn't do this on a 1911, but it ain't a 1911.

PS: the original Johnredwood question.

The PP was the original Walther police design (there were earlier designs but the PP was the one that took off).

The PPK was the compact version of the PP. (K= kurtz, or short)

The PPK was eventually restricted from import to the US because of a dumb law that regulated size. The PPK was too short in length and height.

The solution was to mate the PPK slide to the PP frame. It was thus tall enough to be imported. They called it the PPK/s. It held 7 rounds of 9mm kurtz/.380 like a PP and retained that comfortable grip size, but had the popular short PPK slide.

I've shot PP and PPK and in my opinion, I like the PPK/s the best. I'm glad they took the time to make it work.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009