Walther PPK Value

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by iceburg9199, Jan 7, 2010.

1. iceburg9199

iceburg9199 New Member

I have recently inherited my great uncle's pistol he acquired during WWII. It's a Walther PPK, still in the box, never fired and has the German owners manual titled "Polizei-Pistolen, Modelle PP u PPK", a leather holster and 2 clips. It also has a letter/certificate dated 25 Oct 1945 from his commander authorizing my uncle to "retain as his personal property the articles listed in par 3" listed is the pistol and its serial number. The cert is a form from the US forces European Theater HQ It goes on about captured enemy equipment etc. and is signed by a 1st Lt 435th Ord MVB Co.

The pistol itself is flawless, no scratches, rust and is blued a shiny black and has brown plastic grips.

Markings: Walther Waffenfabrik Zella-Mehlis (Thur)
    Walther's Patent Cal7.65m/m Mod PPK (slide)

small eagle above a circle with an X in it and a C (behind trigger)

small eagle, different wings, above an M (on barrel in ejection port)

same eagle, no letters (slide)

serial # 311295K

There is also a little tin stamped Walther with a dried up oil bottle and a tiny bag labeled Walther, with cotton in it. Everything is in a green Walther box
    "Autom. Pistole Mod. PPK" also on the box is the ser # and a label "mit Signalstift"

Any idea what this worth?

Thanks,
    Ron
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Your police PPK in the condition you describe and with the accessories included is worth $2000 to $3000.
  3. Danny

Danny Member

Finally Wonder & I agree on value, however this is a police PPK boxed with everything from the factory, plus capture papers, giving it prominences. This would be of great collector value and 3500 or more for such a weapon. By the way your pistol was manufactured in 1940, making it the first run of Nazi marked ( E/N) police pistols. Now you need a police holster for that year or 1941 to make it a correct rig. Sometimes you can find them on Ebay. It really is a jewell & we would like to see pictures if handy.
    Kindest Regards
    Danny:)
  4. wonderwhippet

Yes Danny, I knew we would agree on this one. Pictures would be great to see.
  5. iceburg9199

iceburg9199 New Member

Thanks guys, very helpful. Danny, you mention the E/N markings, it only has a C marking, no E or N. Also, you say it was manufactured in 1940 but the cert is from 1945. Maybe he lugged it around europe for years and then got the cert before coming home? I was told that his unit took the factory so I would think that occured late in the war, 44, 45 so how is this one from 1940? Any thoughts on that? I believe he only served 3 yrs and they had to be the last years of the war because I have seen pictures he took of a concentration camp his unit liberated. A cousin has that picture album, very sobering pictures. Just trying to fit all of this together and you guys are great. I have attached pictures as you requested.

Thanks again,
    Ron

Attached Files:

6. iceburg9199

iceburg9199 New Member

Some more pictures

Attached Files:

7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I have little doubt that that gun came out of the Walther factory, probably from the museum. A police holster would be a nice touch, but I am pretty sure the gun was never in a holster, probably was never out of the box.

1945 was the date your great-Uncle "liberated" the gun, not the date it was made. It had been in the factory for those five years, never sold.

It is a great find, and quite valuable as the others have indicated.

(U.S. troops captured that area of Germany, but it was in the Russian zone, so the Americans withdrew. The Russians took the Walther machinery to Suhl where it was used to make PP's for the East German police. Fritz Walther escaped to the west and set up a new factory at Ulm. Today, all PPK production is in the U.S. by Walther USA, in cooperation with S&W.)

Jim
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

wow really nice
  9. iceburg9199

iceburg9199 New Member

Thanks to all of you,
    You've been a big help. So it's worth about $3500? What to do with it now?
  10. Danny

Danny Member

Keep it & after 5-10 years you can double that price. I have done so myself. Mint pistols in that condition is like having money in the bank, without having the IRS on your butt for interest.
    Regards
    Danny:)
  11. wonderwhippet

If you would rather sell it now, I'd be happy to buy it.