walther ppk

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by cl301, Sep 7, 2010.

1. cl301

cl301 New Member

I have an opprutunity to buy a walther ppk thats .22lr. on the left side of the slide it reads: manufacture de machines du haut-rhin manurhin made in france. lic. excl.walther and below that it says model ppk 22 caliber. its all black with black grips that say walther. no bok and one clip. decent shape some scuffs.i'm not sure the differences in pre/post war and was interesting in seeing what its worth. thank you.
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

It's worth around $500 according to the Blue Book, but I think it is worth around $650.
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

The gun was made in France by Manurhin under license from Walther. It was made after the war. Manurhin pistols were every bit as good, quality-wise, as German-made Walthers, although collectors seem to prefer the German guns. I'd say $500 is a fair price for the gun.
  4. cl301

cl301 New Member

thank you very much for your replys. i have some of the other posts and was looking for some clarification.
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Walther PPK? Well, yes and no. Because most of Walther's tools and equipment were destroyed in the war and what was left liberated by the Russians, in 1952 until 1985/1986 Walther entered into a contract with Manurhin, Saint-Bonnet-Chateau, France to produce the Walther PP and PPK. Manurhin produce the parts, they were shipped to Germany, assembly and proofed and roll marked " Walther - Germany ". In the early 1950's Manurhin exported PP's and PPK's, under their own name, marked as yours is marked. So what you have is a French PPK made under license from Walther. " A Manurhin", Same gun, same parts but it doesn't have the Magic "Made in Germany by Elves " roll mark. The PPK in .22 , French or German is a desirable firearm, reliable and accurate ( for a small pistol ). Just a WAG, but I would say , in like new condition maybe 400 to 500. in well worn condition , 200. Perhaps some one has a better fix on current values, hope that helps
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I have seen a number of conflicting stories about Manurhin production of the PP/PPK and resumption of production in Germany, at Ulm. Various claims have surfaced as to where post-war guns were actually made, but I have seen nothing authoritative enough to contradict the company statement that production began at Ulm in 1955, with a period of overlap with Manurhin and some French-made guns finished and proved in Germany.

One certainty is that the first PP/PPK post war production was at Manurhin, with PP production starting in 1951 and PPK production beginning in 1954. Those pistols were marked with the Manurhin trademark and "Made in France."

Jim
  7. Danny

Danny Member

When the Russians captured the plant, the machinery went back home with them. Heck I have seen captured PPK's from VC's with Chinese lettering on them. The French had to start from scratch, with Walther's help of course.
    Danny
  8. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

The first Manhurin .22 PPK was exported to the U.S. in 1953, starting with serial number 500001. The first few of these early .22 PPK pistols were constructed with alloy frames.
  9. cl301

cl301 New Member

is it more accurate with the serial number? 277768 p. thats whats stamped behind the trigger on the right side of the pistol. thanks.