want a CCW piece.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by cpttango30, Jan 12, 2012.

?

CCW gun

Poll closed Jan 15, 2012.
  1. Sig P250

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. Springer XDM Compact

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Glock 23

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Other 3.8" bbl 40 cal pistol in same price range.

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Though I have not or never plan to carry any of those three I know many people that do carry and the Sig seems to be one of the more popular while the XD is on the bottom of the pile. XD's with that large wide square sided shape seems to make it hard to be comfortable to carry. IDK, never tried.
  3. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    They're each good guns for EDC, so the important part is to get one that you feel comfortable with.

For me personally, that's a Glock.
  4. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Never been a fan of glock. But, you can't deny they are tough as nails and they just work.
  5. Airdale

Airdale Member

Carried an XDSC from day one. Took about two hours to get used to it and the IWB holster.
  6. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  8. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

That is the caliber I want. I am not a follower and everyone always wants a 9mm or a 45. I have a 45 so I need a 40. Plus that gives me a reason to buy more reloading gear as well.
  9. Whiskey

Whiskey New Member

Glock 23 or 27
  10. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

No 27 for me. I have big hands and and I see 2 finger grooves plus the trigger. That = 3 fingers. I don't like shooting a gun without all my fingers on it firmly. Plus what am I to do with my pinky hold it out to the side like I am drinking tea? Yes I know I can put different mags in it and it will still not function like I want it and look even worse. Looks aren't everything but, I don't like holding on to the mag of a gun while shooting it.
  11. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

Have you actually fired any of those pistols before? Since you talk about having big hands, I will tell you that the finger grooves molded into the Glock frame do not go well with my big hands. The peaks of the frame hit the middles of my fingers instead of going between them, making it less than comfortable to shoot.

The Sig P250 fits my hands better, as does the XDM. The P250 shoots okay for what it is, but it doesn't come close to the P229 so I was left feeling a little disapointed in it. I'm also not too fond of the "modular" nature of the P250.

I can honestly say that while I have handled the XDM, I have not fired one. So I can't tell you much more about it other than I like it better than Glock... and I like the XDM better than the original XD.

Oh, and since you have an "Other" option, I would vote for the Smith & Wesson M&P Compact in 40. While I don't own one currently, the M&P is at the top of my list for a new pistol. I have fired several of them in different chamberings and have not found anything to complain about other than the fact it will not shoot as well as a nice 1911.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  12. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I just happen to have a smith m & p 40c in stock.........
  13. kcomqg

kcomqg New Member

i carry a keltec pf9 great light little gun shoots very well
  14. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

I looked at all those and others, and chose the Glock 23, because it has no external safety.
  15. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Well after running around SHOT I fell in love with the smith m&p. The glock 23 will never be a gun I own. For the simple fact that the finger groves are not right for me.

I'm now on the hunt for the smith M&P 40 kit.