Want a traditional bowie knife

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by johnlives4christ, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Rocket J Squirl

Rocket J Squirl New Member

Several site George Searles on Baton Rouge LA as making the first bowies that Resin and Jim designed.

nevermind, already covered and old post
  2. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

I believe that Gary Reed/Reeder??(drawing a blank) Custom pistol smith makes a traditional bowie knife. Ads in SGN for custom Ruger wheelguns.
  3. jrg

jrg New Member

Have you seen the Wingem bowie knives made in recent past? Not sure about complete history, but from the little I've found, seem to be from the 50's / 60's / 70's. I found a stag handled Bowie that sounds pretty close to your description at a knife shop in Oklahoma City a couple of weeks ago. It cost me $50 plus tax. I'm pretty happy with it - must be a Texan thing. :D

The blade is approximately 8 1/2" long, about a 1/4" thick and has a brass guard with rounded ends. O.a. length is approximately 12" - hefty blade. I have no idea what kind of steel is used in it, but it seems to be durable enough. Here is a picture of it.

[​IMG]

It has a cheesy Original Bowie Knife in Teutonic lettering, and Othello stamped on other side of hilt. Anton Wingen Jr is the maker - I think the company is defunct.

A.G. Russell also makes some good looking Bowie knives, the Cowboy bowie, smaller than what you are describing looks sweet to me.

http://www.agrussell.com/product.asp?pn=CUS-CKS&bhcd2=1250614119

Anyway, just trying to help narrow it down - hope this helps.
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009