Want to buy Mosin Nagant...

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Jdubb, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Jdubb

Jdubb New Member

I have recently become interested in buying one, a few of my friends have them and they seem like an overall cool rifle I guess you could say. I have looked around online and found a few retailers that have them in stock, also plan to look at the local gun shops and see if they have any available.. I would prefer to hand pick one in person as to trusting someone over the internet to pick a nice one for you... though the way I understand it you can either get a surplus gun that was never used just boxed away for xx years, or the off chance you get one that has been used over the course of history, so a hit/miss situation it seems?

I guess i'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or concerns on the subject? Or tips to buying the best gun possible, I know a few of the places to look and general condition but are there any problem areas to check aside from the obvious?

Thanks guys!
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have a 91/30 and an M44. I suppose they are both pretty good weapons, I don't shoot them all that often, they kick like a mule. I have a C&R so I got mine directly from the distributor. The price of them are low enough for all of the gun shops in my area have a few of each in stock. You should not have any trouble finding one locally, if you look.
  3. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

I bought one at Cabela's on sale for $119.99. Few others were there at the same time, how many you got to look at was pretty much up to the particular counter person you happened to get's patience level it seemed to me. The guy that helped me looked thru 10 for me.
  4. lead

lead Well-Known Member

I would look for one that had matching numbers on the receiver and bolt. Look down the bore and make sure it looks good. Also, I like the older ones better. Early 1900's to the 1940's.
    You can find them at many gun shops and pawn shops, priced from around $100 up to $199 if someone thinks he has a rare model. The shorter carbines from the 50's have gone up in price lately and you will find them well over $200 most places now.
    They are unique and fun to shoot. There's alot of history wrapped up in those old guns.
  5. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

I got mine from j&g sales online. Using my c&r, it cost me $127 delivered, and it was a hand pick. It had never been used. When you get one, the surplus ammo is fine, just be sure to clean it quickly afterward using Windex to start. The ammonia neutralizes to acids in the primer. Also, the american gunsmithing institute has a video about taking it apart for cleaning. You will have to do a really good job cleaning the cosmoline out of it, especially the bolt. It causes lots of problems otherwise.
  6. MikeH121

MikeH121 New Member

7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I've never used windex. When I do take them out to shoot, I take a gallon of water with some dish soap in it and as soon as I finish shooting, I start pouring the water slowly down the barrel from the bolt end, then run patches down it to dry, and then patches with oil. That is why I don't shoot them very much, too much of a PITA to clean.
  8. Jdubb

Jdubb New Member

I am going to make a few calls next week and see what I can find locally, we don't have a whole lot around here for gun stores, there is one about an hour away that is all guns/archery/hunting etc.. I expect to find them there easily, and the other option is a dunhams sports in the town I work in, they usually have some of the surplus weapons there, used to get their flyer in the mail and see wasr's and others like that for cheap but not sure on a Mosin. I have been researching a bit, seems like cosmoline is the biggest issue people have with these surplus guns, that and the bolts/magazines (unsure of correct terminology for that piece) have the same serial number engraved in them but they are not the factory stamp, just like somebody used an engraving tool or whatever to make them match the receiver... I am not all too concerned with the whole number matching part right now, I want a shooter mainly.. if I found a hex receiver gun in perfect shape I would check that it matched to hang on a wall or whatever.. otherwise i'm just fine with a round receiver and a good bore.

I did look at the J&G site and they have a good selection of round and hex it seems but i will if possible avoid having to order online and shipping through a FFL.. I am aware of the corrosive ammo as well, I actually enjoy cleaning my guns, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Also did some looking on how to use the stripper clips.. my one friend always had issues with his mosin feeding ammunition correctly, I think now its probably because of improper loading into the gun getting the rims hooked on each other, his dad gave him his for a birthday... until I corrected him he was pronouncing it "mosinagen"

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll keep them all in consideration!
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The Mosin Nagants work but they are crude at best (typical Russian product). They use unusual ammo that may be hard to find in the future when the surplus ammo runs out.

In the way of a vintage WWII bolt gun, a Mauser is a much better choice. They are more expensive but they are better made and I think more accurate, at least in my experience which includes a couple of Mausers and a near new Mosin Nagant and all the Mauser in my son-in-law collection of many Mausers. I even put a vintage scope on my Mosin Nagant which proved to be more difficult than I imagined as the receiver was so crude that its upper surface was not parallel to its bore. Also the Mauser uses much more readily available 8mm Mauser ammo, available new and on the surplus market places.

But I realize that cost of the gun may be an issue and the Mosin Nagant is OK. For the money it should be fine but remember there are better choices for a little more money.

Have fun,

LDBennett
  10. bufford

bufford New Member

I too have a couple of m91/30's, one was made in 1927 and is a hex receiver model, also have a M44 that I love shooting, BIG muzzles flashes with that one, best advise was given already, get a shooter and remember to clean it properly and you will have years of shooting fun, J&G sales had or has a good supply of both heavier grain rounds and lighter ones, have shot both in all rifles with good results, hope this helps in making up your mind to get one, just have fun!
  11. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

Several things, first is look for a matching parts rifle; this is a more desirable gun from a collectors point of view. Next is the bore condition, if you can see the bore and it is not glopped with cosmoline you can make a better choice for a shooting grade rifle (otherwise take a chance if you like the rest of the gun).
    Look at the crown of the muzzle for either counterboring or wear to the bluing, there are rifles with virtually new barrels that are available as well as rearsenalled guns with the crown redone by boring.
    You can't really go too far wrong at the price for these guns, occasionally a seller will have a more desirable gun than he knows so arm yourself with information and keep your eyes open for such things as a Finnish stock or the older style rear sights.
    Have fun looking and be aware that Mosin rifles are addictive and you will likely end up with several; this is fine as they are also major fun to shoot.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  12. Grizz

Grizz Active Member

Hey 1 thing to get is the limbsaver!! It cost $20 at walmart and is in winchester packaging, If you get it anywhere else it's in limbsaver packaging and cost $35. It makes a world of difference. I ended up bedding my barrel with some electrical tape near the front barrel band. I free floated the barrel and was getting 7-8" groups so then after bedding the barrel I was able to hit a sqaushed soda can top 4 out of 5 shots from 100 yards. Check out my youtube channel as all my videos were made with the mosin nagant. Mosin nagant videos! It's just a normal 91/30 from 1942 round reciever. I have hooked it up with an upgraded sight and a bipod, w limbsaver.
  13. Jdubb

Jdubb New Member

Well a bit of an update, one store about an hour away has (and keeps) two Mosin's in stock.. they are supposedly number matching and in good condition, i'm thinking the numbers will be etched not stamped.. at around $140 there, costs a bit more than an online gun but I can hand pick from the two and I won't have to deal with shipping and the FFL transfer.. I am going to take a look later this week hopefully, and also go to dunhams as well and see what they have but i'm doubting I will find any there if I do I will compare prices/quality and go from there...
  14. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

If you don't want to use windex, get ammonia. Windex has it in it already, and straight ammonia is hard to take. The ammonia neutralizes the primer salts, which are corrosive. After the windex, I use CLP to clean it.
  15. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My sons friend bought one and I thought he was just throwing money away. He took it to the range with us and I was able to shoot it. I have to say it was a surprise. Shot very accurate. It changed my mind. Where else can you get a good shooting hunting rifle for $100?