Want to buy Mosin Nagant...

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Jdubb, Nov 22, 2012.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Be careful using any ammonia in a gun barrel. If left in the barrel too long it will etch the steel and ruin the bore.

It is not necessary to use any chemical at all. Hot water dissolves the salts created by the corrosive primers and washes them away. I have an older bottle of Hoppe's #9 bore solvent that says right on the bottle that is for corrosive primers. So I follow the hot water rinse with Hoppe's #9. But actually almost any water based bore solvent will work.

Also don't forget that the gases from the cartridge carry the corrosive salt. Anywhere the gases go inside the gun, corrosive salts are left behind. In Semi-autos you may have to use the above cleaning regime on more than just the bore. Don't forget the gas operating system and the bolt face.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  2. Jdubb

Jdubb New Member

Well i checked Dunhams and they do have a 91/30 on the rack.. on sale for 199! Regular price 269 or something like that. It was a beautiful gun but a little too beautiful and too pricey for me. The search will continue!
  3. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

J&G sales are the people to trust. I bought mine from them, and they did well. $127 for a mosin 91/30, hand picked for $10 extra, delivered for $127, using my c&r. It has the laminate stock, and the round receiver. 1943 is when it was made.
  4. Jdubb

Jdubb New Member

I know J&G will be my first choice if I don't get one locally, If I can get the one at the gun store for the 140 I figure it will be about the same as one hand picked from J&G said and done since I don't have C&R nor want to wait/spend the money to get it right now. I wish I knew someone locally that had their C&R that could order for me then transfer without having to go through a FFL. Unless there is some better way to go about this?..
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

You might want to check out what they have here...http://centuryarms.com/
    I have bought and sold several of theirs and had good luck....
  6. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

No real other option for receiving your rifle; but, having done all this work then why not just order 2 or 3 and make sure you avoid disappointment? They don't go bad and you can give the extras as Christmas presents (to yourself if you are so inclined).
  7. Jdubb

Jdubb New Member

I would like more than one in the future, but right now i only need one. And i figure i will just go take a look at the guns at the shop that i assume will be decent condition and i will know exactly what I'm buying.
  8. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

have to ditto gmoody's first post.

usually easy to find along with lots of milsurp ammo still in spam cans.. etc.

that said.. anyone seen brass, boxer ammo for these?
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Be careful of any gun marked as imported by Century Arms. I got an Enfield Jungle carbine (made up by Century, not actually one). I knew when I bought it that it was not the real thing but it was all spruced up to look good everywhere but in the bore. It was a terrible shooter. I returned it to them and they gave me another one with a good barrel but the couple of other Century Arms guns I have bought also had one problem or another. I'll not be buying anymore guns made by or imported by Century Arms (isn't it actually Century International Arms or CIA?). They are likely to push a gun out their doors knowing it has problems.

Don't buy any surplus gun without inspecting it first. If you do not know how to tell if the bore is good then take a friend along who does know how to checkout a used or surplus gun.

LDBennett
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Just the opposite for me.....
  11. Jdubb

Jdubb New Member

I also just noticed there is a flyer on the wall at work for a gun show in my area this weekend... this could help me out a bit don't ya think?.. you would think there will be a few mosin's there eh?
  12. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

You use water...on HIGH CARBON steel? I couple windex-soaked a patches and run it through, then a couple patches soaked in Hoppes #9 then ran a dry patch to clean any residue and then ran a few patches with a lot of boar oil.

BTW, I have an M38, shoots great.
  13. Jdubb

Jdubb New Member

Well the gun show was a bust... not a single mosin to be found... several sks's and m1 garands... few others but nothing i was interested in. I did buy a few empty ammo cans for fun but that was all i was interested in. I guess ill be checking out the gun store.
  14. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Down hear, in Montgomery, AL, no 2 gun shows are the same, but, ya, check a few gun shops, too.
  15. Jdubb

Jdubb New Member

yeah this show wasn't really that good.. it was a smaller one to start with.. alot of the people there were pretty frustrated.. 20 tables were packed into the gym of a middle school with like 3 feet walking space all around. LOTS of nice guns there, but nothing I wanted or that were in my price range. If I had the money to spend i would have had myself a M1 garand, SKS, and choice of several AR-15's.. but i don't have alot to spend at the moment lol.