The Firearms Forum banner

Want to get a compact 40 cal...opinions?

3K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  AmmoSphere 
#1 ·
I am new to this forum, but have owned a hand gun for the past 3 years. I currently have a Ruger SR9 and like it a lot, but it's a bit big to conceal. I am really looking at a Glock G23 w/ night sights. I have only owned 1 hand gun in my life, and have never shot a .40 but what are some other pistols I should look at before I buy? All opinions welcome and thank you in advance!

#2 ·
Springfield XDSC, Springfield EMP!

#5 ·
I too will be buying a Glock 23 here at the end of the month. I sold my smith .40 back in December, and need to replace it.

#8 ·
I also suggest the XD subcompact. .40 s&w provides alot of extra knock down power when compared to the 9mm for about the same amount of recoil...

#12 ·
Taurus Millennium Prom P-140. Less than $400 and a well built pistol.

#13 ·
I have the glock 19 which is the same size as the 23. I also have a Kahr CW9
and i can tell you the Kahr conceals much much much better IWB. I've found if i carry, the glock doesnt conceal all that much better then my Kimber Tactical Entry 2 full size 1911 so you may want to try the pistols out in conceal type holsters you intend on using before you decide. G23 is a very fine pistol though, just something to think about. When you get your CCW you will find that if its hard and uncomfortable to conceal you will more than likely not carry which defeats the purpose of a carry gun. Just my opinion though.
Mike

#15 ·
I am new to this forum, but have owned a hand gun for the past 3 years. I currently have a Ruger SR9 and like it a lot, but it's a bit big to conceal. I am really looking at a Glock G23 w/ night sights. I have only owned 1 hand gun in my life, and have never shot a .40 but what are some other pistols I should look at before I buy? All opinions welcome and thank you in advance!
Good gun! Good choise! I shot it: +1!;)

#16 ·
EMP or XD would be my choice if money was not an issue.

For the price, the Glock 23 isn't bad either.

#17 ·
Springfield XDSC, Springfield EMP!
I second both of these choices. Although, the EMP is hard to find in my area and cost some serious $$$$.

Because of my current financial situation I had to find a more "affordable" CCW for the wife & I or give up carrying a firearm all together.

I kept an open mind and researched some different models and manufacturers and I decided on a Taurus 24/7 ProC 40sw for my wife and a 24/7 ProC 45acp for myself. BOTH have been 100% reliable and trouble free!

I now recommend the 24/7 Pro "compact" line of firearms to anyone looking for an affordable and dependable CC weapon. It is one of the BEST firearm buying decisions I've made in 30+yrs of owning firearms.

#21 ·
There seem to be alot of Glock and Springfield folk's here, so I will go out on a limb and recomend the Smith M&P series.......
Give them a look, I really like mine!
One thing is for sure, nothing mentioned above is junk. Any one of them would be good reliable shooters for you, just find the best feel.

#22 ·
I also suggest the XD subcompact. .40 s&w provides alot of extra knock down power when compared to the 9mm for about the same amount of recoil...
If it were me that is what I would buy. I plan on getting one in 9MM just because the weight is less for that round than the 40. I have a P94 in 40 and that is my nightstand gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.