Want to start loading 5.7 x 28mm

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dsv424, Apr 29, 2009.

1. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

I have a Lee classic turret press and have been looking into loading 5.7. I believe Lee will special make the dies but can I use other dies instead? Also are the bullets the same as you would use for .223 and can I get cases for them? Hopefully there is someone out there that has done this on a Lee turret so you could tell me of problems I will encounter loading this round. Thx
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Lee does not carry any of their standard dies in 5.7X28. I guess you could have them custom made, but why go to that expense. I originally bought the RCBS Full Length die set and loaded with that. Recently, I bought a Redding Neck Only size die and I like it much better than the Full Length. I still use the RCBS bullet seating die to seat the bullet. I do not crimp the bullet at all.

It is recommended that you only shoot a flat base bullet in the 5.7X28. I mostly load the Sierra 40 grain Blitzking bullet, but get good results with both a 45 grain Sierra Soft Point 22 Hornet bullet and a 35 grain Hornady V-Max bullet, all of these are .224 diameter. The powder I use is Accurate #5 with the 35 and 45 grain bullets and Accurate #7 with the Blitzking bullet.

I had a lot of problems, when I first started loading them, with the case being crushed while depriming/resizing with the Full Length die. I called RCBS technical department and talked with them about the problem. They told me to to screw the depriming pin down so that it was depriming the case before it got into the resizing part of the die. After experimenting with that until I got it right, I don't have that problem any more.

You are going to have to ream the primer pocket on each case, the primer is "pinned" into the pocket with three "pins". It is hard for me to to explain but you will see what I mean when you deprime. You will not be able to seat a new primer until you get those three "pins" out of the way.

I did a little experiment when I first started messing with the 5.7X28. I shot two rounds, reloaded them, shot them again, reloaded them and so on and so on. I reloaded those same two pieces of brass eleven times before I got tired of playing that game. After each firing, I inspected the brass and trimmed if needed, even after the 11th time, there was no signs of stress on the brass. One of them was getting kind of shiny on the shoulder but no other sign at all.

Now that I have said all of that, I will tell you that the ammo that I reloaded, caused jams in my PS90 and I did not shoot any of the reloads in my FiveseveN. I will only shoot factory rounds in those two guns. I have a 5.7X28 custom made barrel for my T/C Contender that I shoot the reloads in. All three of the loads are extremely accurate.
  3. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

Thx for all the info GDmoody I really appreciate it although it is a bit discourageing from all the problems you incurred. Especially the jamming in your PS90 because I'll be reloading them for a AR 5.7 upper I purchased and the magazine is the same as the PS90. Oh well thanks again for the heads up on what I'm in store for.