Wanting to get started

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ddaddy2007, Jan 13, 2012.

1. ddaddy2007

ddaddy2007 New Member

Hello All,
    I know this topic is garanteed to have already be discussed but I just want to get pointed in the right direction and topic within the forum to start my reading. I am wanting to get into reloading without initially breaking the bank. I am open to all opinions and advice. Would like to hear if the kits for startup that are on the market are good investment for the beginning reloader. I look forward to hearing from everyone.

thanks,

Bobby
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome daddy, there is a whole forum dedicated to reloading, it is called The Ammo and Reloading Forum, under the FIREARMS RELATED heading.
  3. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

ddaddy

Welcome

Shotshelll, pistol or rifle or all the above?

What is your current experience and do you have any components as yet or have you done any reloading in the past?

My first thought is that you might want to get one of the major reloading manuals such as Lymans 47th or later edition.

They give extremely good advice, and kind of take you to beginners school to start with including the mention and use of different loaders etc.

More info an your reloading background may let those extremely knowledgeable people better help you.

UF
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    ddaddy, this is where you start. With a good reloading manual that will take you thru the steps, and give you some insight on the different companies that make reloading equipment.
  5. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Bobby. You are right as this subject gets lots of discussion and always will as there are a lot of "brand loyalties" associated with the reloading equipment. It is sort of like asking which pickup truck I should buy. Here is a recent discussion on the subject.
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=99312

I load mostly handgun ammo and started out around 40 years ago with a single stage Rockchucker kit from RCBS. It is still the only press I have and am completely satisfied with it. But I only load in the hundreds of rounds a year if each caliber rather than thousands of rounds. I am also retired and have lots of time on my hands. (yea, I know American Leader, I am old too)

I do like the idea of the turret presses that are out there now and of course the progressives are great especially the Dillon but that takes a pretty good investment money wise and I don't need their capability.

In addition to the RCBS equipment in that original kit I have added Lee's hand primers, Lee's Fractory Crimp Dies, and Lee's case trimming equipment because I learned here at TFF that it works better than some other options and I agree.

First piece of advice you will get here is get some manuals and read and read again and look at some of the reloading videos from the manufacturers and on Youtube. There is also a thread here on "What does you loading bench look like" search for that and you will see that equipment runs the gamut from basic to elaborate. Study up and then take the plunge, you are going to enjoy it. There are some real experts that have helped me out and will do like wise to you.
  6. RandyP

RandyP Member

There are loads of youtube videos and great self-help videos at the Lee Precision website:

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Help-Videos.html

Those will at least show you how the process works. After that you trade $$$$ for reloading speed and some functions. Your choice of press depends on your budget and also your realistic ammo needs per month.

A single stage press kit is $82 at Factory Sales and will yield 50-75 rounds per hour.

Turret presses (and I am a HUGE fan of the Lee CLASSIC 4-hole turret) will easily deliver 150-175 rounds per hour, progressive presses (and Dillon make the best and costliest) can churn out many hundreds of rounds per hour.
  7. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

First of all, welcome to the forum, Bobby. You will find this is a fine place for getting advice, and chatting about lots of stuff. People here are friendly and helpful.

I agree with all the above. After all the reading and watching, try to find someone near you who has experience reloading and get him to help you get started. One of the perks of my club is that one of our members teaches a course in reloading, and offers to help with the equipment setup. That got me started on the right foot.

Take your new reloads to the range and show them to some reloaders; listen to their advice.

When reloading keep distractions to an absolute minimum and focus on getting it right.

Keep your eyes open...used reloading presses and equipment come up from time to time. Watch this forum's buy/sell section; watch ebay; watch your local for sale ads; my local fire arms dealer has a used press from time to time. Mine is a used RCBS progressive press that works very well.

I have found that I can tailor my ammunition to my guns for best performance, and I can reload pistol caliber rounds for about a third of the cost of store-bought ammunition, and .223 rounds for about half the cost of store-bought ammunition. The best part is shooting my own rounds and seeing them punch the heart out of the center of the target.

Learn lots, get advice, and enjoy. It's addictive. There is plenty of reloading experience on this forum.
  8. RandyP

RandyP Member

I would add that it pays to ask for suggestions and opinions BEFORE you spend any $$$ on hardware or components. And there are NO stupid questions. Every reloader out there started from ground zero and had to learn.

There are a number of reloading specific web forums out there with tons of reading available. Two I often frequent in addition to this great resource are:

http://www.thehighroad.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15

http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

An educated consumer makes the best customer.
  9. ddaddy2007

ddaddy2007 New Member

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Currently I do not do any reloading but it is something I have wanted to get into for years. Had a friend when I was in the military that reloaded and he hand loaded all my ammo for me at that time. Thats been 5 or 6 years ago. Have since lost touch with him. The ammo that I am interested in for loading will be .223, 7 MM Mag, 6.8 and 22-250. I truely enjoy shooting as a sport but I am an avid hunter and a firm believe in using hand loads to get the best out of my weapon. I will first start with the manual. Any recommendations on the cheapest place to find one. I will search the net and see what I can find, but any help would be appreciated.

thanks again for all the information.
  10. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Welcome Bobby. Since you have no reloading background, I suggest you pick up a copy of "The ABC's of Reloading". It has no load data but you don't need that yet. Forget about all the presses that have been advised until you determine how many rounds you think you'll be reloading at a time.
    Starting here is a good choice. There are lots of helpful smart folks here. Do the reading. Ask yourself honestly what your needs are and keep asking here.
    Reloading can be relaxing, rewarding and fun. Just don't jump in over your head at the advise of a stranger.
  11. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome. The ABC's of reloading I would say is a must have,also Lymans 47th.You're library may have them to borrow but you will probably want you're own as I read mine often.I think mine came from Amazon.com.E-bay may have used copies.Even though asome of my first equip i got used,i got Midway to send me a catalog so i could see what different stuff is available.This forumn is invaluable.I learn something new almost whenever I log on and just read the threads.These guys are really smart and generous with their help.You'll likely run into a problem or two as I did and I'd still be scratching my head without their help.Also read the stickys at the top and good luck. JOE
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum
  13. ddaddy2007

ddaddy2007 New Member

Good Morning All,
    I found a copy of Lyman's 47th on Amazon.com and have it on the way. Will start to read and research it as soon as I get it into my hands. As for the other book that was recommended, I will pick it up also as soon as I get the first one in and get started reading on it. Again thanks for the helpful info.
  14. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Good work Bobby.The Lyman,s book will help you get started but it is full of reloading data also.The ABC's of rloading book I don't think has reloading specs but is full of reloading info and procedures etc.I don't have the ABC's book buut have an old book called Handloader's Digest '70's edition. It has a lot of older type equip shown being used but was and still is informative.Probably equivalent to The ABC's book as far as "how to and not to" information.As soon as is possible for you, try to get the ABC's of Reloading book also. It has info you'll need to know. GOOD LUCK and enjoy. JOE
  15. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

Welcome. The Lyman manual is a great manual to have. Also the ABC's of reloading can be checked out from a lot of libraries.
  16. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

ddaddy

Just another suggestion or reiteration of previously stated advice.

I started loading in the mid 60s with RCBS and Ch presses that my brother still uses, so I am just a beginner/piker as the old-timers here would say. :D

The other more knowledgeable and experienced people have given you excellent advice especially;
    Get manuals, read then get more and read and don't forget to ask questions and then more questions. :eek:

I have been in the firearms/retail/range owner business since 78 and still learn every time I open this forum. The people here never cease to amaze at their knowledge, experience and their willingness to share. You don't have to reinvent the wheel with this kind of help.;)

Over the years many loaders have given, bequeathed, sold or copied manuals, favorite loads, books, components etc. and where others go to garage sales looking for tools I look for reloading stuff and you would be surprised at what you find that no one understands or even know what they have. CHEAP.

But the basic manuals first as mentioned already.
    Nuff said.

Good luck, have fun, OH and last but not least, if this reloading is a matter of choice between taking drugs for the first time and pulling the handle of your first load, take the drugs, you can quit them.:)

I plan to share some pics of my loading room in a few minutes on the What does your loading room look like.

UF
  17. ddaddy2007

ddaddy2007 New Member

Good Afternoon All,
    Got my Lymans 47th in the mail today and actually found a free copy of the ABC's for download on the internet. I have made it through the first 50 pages of the The ABC's so far. Still want to find it in hard copy. Anyone got a used one for sale, give me a shout. Looking forward to working my way through both books and then starting to think about desgining my work area before I start to think about equipment. I looked at several of the designs under the what does your loading bench look like. From all the viewing examples I really like the stainless steel look. More questions as I read will come. Right now just going through a lot of safety and history.
  18. The Duke

The Duke New Member

If you have a friend who reloads, seek his advise and help...Its always better to see it than only read about it..Ask questions, watch Utoobs, read and do.

If your on a budget as I was when I started, Lee make some excellent affordable products that work very well..A good single stage press is a way to start...less chance of screwing something up while learning....Upgrade as you learn more about it to fit your needs or whims..:)

Benchs are a personal thing...Mine are 42" high and are comfortable for me to load in either sitting on a stool or standing....I think a good rule of thumb in bench height is the rule of elbow...Stand up and measure where your elbows are in a comfortable positon..That was 42" for me..Design it with all the space you think you will need, then build it twice as large...

If space is a consideration, you can make it mobile if you need to move it around...I prefer wood to metal...Easier to work with, lighter, and doesnt get cold in Winter nor Hot in Summer...A good wooden bench will last a lifetime...Make the slab or top stout...2 1/2" thick at least...But I started on the kitchen table with some "C" clamps to hold the press...Not good, but all I could do at the time...Enjoy the hobby, add to it as you wish, and by all means have fun...:D
  19. DennymacFF

DennymacFF New Member

Good evening. Where in KY are you located? I am just outside of Louisville in La Grange. I am an NRA Certified Reloading Instructor and would be more than happy to help you get going. I have most of the equipment set up in my shop and use it on a regular basis. Let me know if there is anything that I can help you with. Best of luck. DennyMac
  20. ddaddy2007

ddaddy2007 New Member

DennyMac,
    I know exactly where Lagrange is, live in carrollton from 89-92. I may just have to take you up on the offer. Maybe make a trip down and look around at how you have your set up and maybe do some hands on if thats possible, of course I will supply all the necessities if you wish or pay you for you time and product. I want to make my way through these manuals first so that I am not standing there as a lame duck and not able to work my way through general conversation on reloading. Will let you know in the future.

thanks

Forgot to tell you I live just outside of lexington.