Wanting To Purchase A 22 Lever Action!What's The Best Value Out There?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by flyingtiger85, Feb 1, 2012.

1. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

Yea I know it's not a rapid fire semi-auto but they sure do look like they would be fun shooters.Plus I like the look of them.I kinda like the Marlin 39A because I held one at a gun store and I was impressed with there quality.But man $500 dollars for one ouch!!Does anyone own a Henry lever 22 out there because $300 sounds more reasonable to me.Are they built OK or are they made kinda cheap, will I be happy with one.Most of my purchases are on-line and it's sometimes hard to judge a gun from just pictures.Any input would be appreciated.
  2. fordtrucksforever

fordtrucksforever Member

Henry is a great choice. Excellent rifle. You have a Winchester, Browning, Rossi, Taurus, Henry and Marlin to choose from. Have you considered a pump rifle? There have been many great pumps made over the last 120 years. Colt and Winchester both came out first with excellent designed pumps back then. Colt was a little more complex and expensive to make. But the Winchester 1890 is still currently copied by other manufacturers and very good quality. Of all the older rifles I have handled over the years, old Winchester lever action and pumps just dont give up. Of Marlins I have model 1892, 1897, 39 and 39A lever action rifles. Love them all. Its a shame the price has gotten way too high. BTW, a semi auto isnt the rage, but is usually cheaper to manufacture in 22.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

My first thought was the Henry. I have never owned one, but I hear the quality is really good. I have looked at them in the local wally world and they seem to be reasonably priced. I don't remember the exact price right now but at the time I looked I would have bought one if I'd had the cash.
  4. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I agree that the Henry is your best choice for a quality gun at a reasonable price.
  5. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

The Marlin is expensive and the Cadilac of lever actions! That being said the Henry is NICE.I worked for Dicks and Bass Pro sold far more Henrys than 39As with no complaints.Enjoy your Henry.:) Cliff
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Henry's aren't built they used to be, but they're still great guns. My first choice would be the Browning, followed by the Marlin and then the Henry. My son got a Henry for his 10th B-day and I've enjoyed shooting it just as much as he has. No problems out of it at all. The trigger isn't as crisp and it's not as accurate as the Browning or Marlin, but it still can shoot a quarter group at 25yrds.

Bottom line is this, you won't be disappointed in any of the three, buy what you like and can afford out of the three.
  7. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I had a Browning short throw lever action that was the ****! If you can find one get it.
  8. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

All you had to do was extend your right hand to work the action. It was a beaut!:)
  9. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Ive got the Henry standard and got it used a few years ago. Tore it down and gave it a cleaning that it needed bad and I have NO compliants at all!
    And the accuracy is there.....(digging up an older target pic after I got the rear sight right)
  10. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    ive shot and owned henrys for as long as they have been out and i have no complaints.they will shoot shorts,longs,and long rifle.if you fill one up with shorts it feels like you will never run out of ammo. old semperfi
  11. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I can honestly say, Ive NEVER fires a short .22 shell. Not for the lack of not wanting too, but just never persued buying any!
    I'm gonna have to try that...
    thanks old semperfi for oppening my thought on that...that would be a lot of/more shooting out of one henry!
  12. kcomqg

kcomqg New Member

henry all the way
  13. mranum

mranum Member

If you want "new" then I'd say go for the Henry. If you can hit some shows and look for a nice used one then I'd say Marlin or Winny are my first choices.
  14. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I also agree with Old Semper Fi. Cliff
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  15. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

A lot of people bash Henrys because they have an alloy receiver.

I sent an e-mail to Anthony Imperato, President of HRA, asking what the material was, and he sent me a response on a Saturday. :eek: THAT'S customer service! Henry's is 2nd to none.

It's Zamak 5.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamak

Note the yield strength. Everyday steel (A36) has a yield strength fo 36,000 PSI.
    The Zamak 5 is 43,000. If ya think yer gonna exert that much pressure by racking a lever, ya need some therapy.

Funny how folks will bash a .22 lever gun with an alloy receiver, yet 90% of all AR lowers are aluminum. :rolleyes:

The reason for the e-mail was, I was considering stripping the paint off in order to get a more 'metal' look. I considered having it electroplated, but went another route. Oxpho cold blue. Now my rifle looks like is has a hardened steel receiver.:cool:

I have the H001T model with 20" octagon barrel, so I couldn't stop there. I wanted it to look 'old western', so I changed out the lever for a loop and added a Marbles tang sight. So now I've about $500 into it, but it looks awesome. No one has a Henry like mine. :)