Wards WesternField Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CountryGunsmith, Mar 4, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

jetski43
    (1/28/03 1:34:07 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All ward western field
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We found the barrel of what appears to be a wards western field 22 pistol. This is very worn and pitted. We can make out wards and western field and model. We can't be sure of what the model says, but it appears to be 97 98 possibly. If anyone might have more information on this, I would appreciate it.

Edited by: jetski43 at: 1/28/03 1:36:25 pm

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/28/03 5:58:06 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: ward western field
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi jetski......welcome to TFF.

This is a bit of a mystery. I don't find a Wards or a Western Field Model 97 or 98 or 9798.

There was a Western Field M898, but that was made by Mossberg, so it wouldn't have been a pistol.

Here's a crossover reference list: www.okiegunsmithshop.com/crossref.html

Maybe you can find something I couldn't.

jetski43
    (1/29/03 5:47:23 pm)
    thanks for your responce. the model number isn't really readable, so its probably not 97 98. I think you can make out a 9 and 8 next to each other, but the rest of the model number is not really legible. We were just interested in what type of pistol that the barrel we have came off of, and how old it might be.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/30/03 8:30:09 am)
    I still don't see anything on the crossover list that might be a pistol.

The Western Field 04M-489A was the same as the Mossberg Model 50 (Rifle)

The WF M898 was the same as the Mossberg Model 333 (Rifle)

The WF 894 and 895 were Mossberg .22 rifles also.

It's got me stumped.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/30/03 11:04:13 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    Re: ward western field
    If you could post a couple of pictures it would be helpful, we can probably ID the make/model just from the barrel configuration.

High Standard was known to private-label some of their double-action .22 revolvers for Sears under the JC Higgins brand. It is certainly possible that Wards might have done the same.