WarGames

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Guest, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (5/4/01 9:01:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All WarGames
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, nothing happening here so I think I'll pop the "Steel Panthers" CD in and see if I can smoke the Krauts with my Wz34s, TKSs, and cavalry AGAIN in a Poland '39 scenario...

But while I'm gone, does anybody here WarGame?

I'm partial to Squad Leader and PanzerBlitz myself...

LIKTOSHOOT
    (5/4/01 9:11:34 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: WarGames
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HUH?

Bob In St Louis
    (5/4/01 9:14:46 pm)
    I just go down in the basement and shoot rats with my Astras. Some of em shoot back.
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

Kdubya
    (5/4/01 9:45:50 pm)
    Out here, we have desert duels with scorpions and rattlers - they can getcha' if'n you don't watch out!
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

LIKTOSHOOT
    (5/4/01 10:18:22 pm)
    Ok, now I get it. I shoot roaches off the walls with a blowgun, well actually they stick to the wall, well thats not true either....I stick them to the wall. Texas wall art?

Yes it`s a military blowgun....preban with a high capacity blower!!!!

Edited by: LIKTOSHOOT at: 5/4/01 11:20:51 pm

polishshooter
    (5/4/01 11:35:04 pm)
    I'm not sure I'd brag about being a high capacity blower.

I can't believe NOBODY here plays war games.

By the way I fought the Germans to a draw, they cheated and had armored half tracks so they were pretty tough to charge with my cavalry. Did pop a couple of PZ Is with my horsies too, but I ran the darn things to death. Even got two Pzkw IVs with one Tk3m, I love it when the computer rewards suicide.

Too bad the real Polaks didn't know what "defense in depth" meant.

obelix2
    (5/5/01 6:38:32 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Wargames
    Somebody -- okay, my son-in-law -- gave me a CD called "Age of Rifles" that covers actions from the First Sikh War through the Russo-Japanese. I gave this heavy play for while but found I couldn't live with two features: You can't correct errors; eg, it has the 2nd Vermont Brigade in the action during the First Day at Gettysburg. Off course, it's on the Order of Battle, but it was called up from the defenses of Washington and didn't get there till later. Thing two: Some of the scenarios are completely unbalanced. There's no way to keep from being virtually annihilated at Isandlwana by hordes of screaming (I think; I don't have sound) Zulus. Admittedly, this is what happened, but if it's going to be a game, the Brits have to have at least a chance in Hell.

polishshooter
    (5/5/01 8:20:32 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Wargames
    Yeah, I hear you Ob, but thats the price we pay for "artificial intelligence." The board games are much more realistic and can be tailored, but then you have 2 hours set up and all those darn little pieces to try to see, and then you go crazy figuring "line of sight." (and it's tough to play alone if you can't find a partner.)

In college two of us started a wargame club and basically that's all there was. We did do something cool and made a PanzerBlitz board 3D so newbies could see the terrain. We'd set it up and play on the weekends when a keg was on tap and draw a crowd, but got questions like, "Why don't you shoot him with all these tanks and stuff right here?" and when you answered they can't see him, you'd get "Why the hell not, I can see him fine!"

I know it's frustrating when there's a glitch in a computer game, like the little 37mm low vel gun in a Wz34a armored car being able to take out a PzkwIV so easily, but it's made up for by little things like SOMETIMES the Poles get air superiority and you get to see what those Elk medium bombers could have done had they not been caught on the ground.

My son finds the glitches and exploits the heck out of it, which frustrates me all to heck. Like in Allied General on Playstation, he found that there's an Italian Assault Gun with a 90mm that's next to impossible to take out, that the game let's you "buy" for only 27 points, should be like 227, so he overloads with them and wastes my Matildas.

We got the retro modules for Squad leader and enjoy making up wild scenarios where we get CharI Bis teamed with KVIIs and British paras against SS Engineers backed with Shermans and Polish cavalry and crazy stuff like that.

The only trouble is we take an entire afternoon setting the darn thing up and then get bored with the actual fight and never finish. Or else Mom kicks us off the kitchen table because it's time for dinner and she refuses to eat next to a Nebelwerfer.

LIKTOSHOOT
    (5/22/01 9:41:08 am)
    Polish, I just received in the mail from a friend, this game. "SUDDEN STRIKE" voted game of the month, from when I don`t have a clue. On the box, "the best real-time strategy game of the year" Ever heard of it? If I open it up and I have to use the keyboard, I`m screwed....nothing like being killed while you hunt and peck taking fire too. GHEESH!! This one has it all....3 CD`s for different stuff, has snipers,anti-tank,anti-aircraft,flame-throwers,Konigstiger tanks, T34,T26,KV-1,SU85,T70, bazooka`s, paratroopers, commandoes and a whole lot more....summer/winter landscapes, up to 12 players and 4 teams.....DANG!!!!!!!

polishshooter
    (5/22/01 10:06:06 am)
    We all oughta get one and play a wild scenario "on-line," I always wanted to try that...

My only problem is I get too wrapped up in accuracy and sentimentality and always crap that I think are cool, and end up facing Tigers with Universal Carriers with Boys Rifles.

I die many a glorius death.

I also like running around alot with M18 Hellcats in Steel Panthers, those puppies were QUICK.

The best CD games I've found so far are anything by SSI.

Xracer
    (5/22/01 4:45:04 pm)
    Polish.....do those games allow you throw horse turds from your cavalry at the enemy?

polishshooter
    (5/22/01 10:51:23 pm)
    I dunno, unless that's what they mean by "close assault."