Wargaming anyone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rommelvon, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

I do a bit of wargaming on the weekends, I have around 40 various microtanks and around 40 microaircraft....thats a 40 cal round to show how small the models are, I mostly play the krauts....mainly because I like the german armor better, but I play American using P51's P38's Corsairs, british spits, hurricanes, japanese zero's, kate and oscars, and german ME 109, Stuka, Fockewulf 190....it's a lot of fun, plus it's beer and pizza allnight...although we do grill some venison once in a while

Attached Files:

2. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

Did you paint those Romm? Is it anything like Warhammer? What kind of rule set do you use? You've piqued my interest sir. Don't tell anyone but ...................I'm kind of a nerd :D . I used to play a Star Wars version of Dungeons and Dragons (D20). Axis and Allies, Risk and its many variants occupy a lot of my time when I can get a group together.

Could you give a little more info. on what you play?

Thanks.
  3. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

Lol...well, I'm a bit of a nerd myself..star trek, D&D warhammer etc....as far as rules go, we use the rules from avalon hills squad leader,, risk, and D&D...kind of a weird mix, but it works, we play on a sheet of plywood all colored and drawn like a world map, one game last at least a week..depending on the campaign...since it's individually turned based....you nevr know what is going to happen, and we use the entire world as a combat zone...for instance I currently have troops in USA, Canada, England, Turkey and have a nice build up in japan, now, when a country is taken over/defeated we get points, the bigger the country, the more points, and more points buys more troops, armor, planes etc.......we map out the land, air and sea, each octogon is 100 miles...I'll take a pic of the board when we play again...oh, also each pesons move is secret unless they draw an "intelligence" card and thyen the person has to tell what he has in store for that spot....

almost forgot, I didn't do the main paint schemes, but I did the camo on the armor, they are called "Dragon armor" it's an entire series
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  4. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

So are these rules that you guys came up with or is this something that's published? I know you said its a mixed bag of rules from other games but who did the mixing? It sounds REALLY cool.

I was about halfway through your reply when I thought "he should realy take pictures of the board and post them in the military history forum," I think the debate on what each person should do or should have done would rage on for weeks.
  5. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

Yea, it's a mixture of rules, it's a blast to play...we base each campaign on actual battles IE: Normandy....but in the last round the germans won and repelled the invasion, thus shifting the battle in another entire direction, where a single nuke was dropped on berlin, and that dropped my troops will to fight (only 1 roll instead of 3)...but thats ok, because in the next round (this sat night) I plan on sinking 3 hospital ships with my U-boats and landing fallschrimjager troops in england to try and take the airfields and ports.....should be a fun night...also my team mate who plays the japanese is going to attack New york city and norfolk naval yards...shhhhhh loose lips sink ships...lol...I will take some shots of the board and post them soon
  6. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

:p :D sounds like fun romm....
  7. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I used to wargame in college, mainly "Panzerblitz," with a friend, then bought a ton of other games both Avalon Hill and the other major one I can't remember, (SSI?) the paper map ones.

We even started a branch of the "History Club" on campus to get others interested, using Panzerblitz that we added balsa wood layers to show elevations and lichen for woods to illustrate the "no see no shoot rules" for the unimaginative (Whatdya MEAN I can't see that T34, it's right THERE!)

And yeah, the "NERD" liked to play the Nazis for the same reasons, (I WONDER if there is something FREUDIAN there...the NERDS always claiming the German side, the real MEN fighting them....HHHmmmm;)) plus the rules were "biased" towards the "superior" German armor anyway;), plus the late war indirect artilery was DEVASTATING at least on the tables, but I preferred to play the RUSSIANS, and I played it to the hilt, usually drunk, calling him names like "Cowardly Yellow Hitlerite B#st@rd!!" and belittling his courage to "Come and get me like a MAN instead of picking me off at long range like a Nazi Pansey!" enough until we had a crowd in my room watching, then he would do something stupid to impress THEM like try and CHASE me and I would catch his Tigers with a couple of horse drawn 76's buried in a woods or in a river:p

I actually won quite a bit with the scenarios, usually using my brilliant "Run and hide until he runs out of fuel chasing me" strategy;)

The guy I played against mainly was almost a total different personality from me, but we had that in common and were friends, he was VERY nerdy, didn't drink or smoke, NEVER hit a "Floor Party," never played any sports, talked in PRECISE "Queen's English" while I was your basic John Belushi Animal House character drunk most of the time, only with decent grades:D

We actually got most of the way through designing our own game based on Vietnam, and I still have it around here somewhere, but then I graduated and got married and they all got put away, except for occasional use TRYIING to get some friend or acquaintance interested....

i probably had 12-15 games, mainly WWII, but some from the Civil War, the American rolution, Napoleonic Wars, and some miscellaneoud...

Then when my son got to be like 8 or 9, and used to like to model, and of COURSE I steered him into B-17s, and P-38s :)cool: ), and who like most sons at least at that age was interested in anything Dad liked...

And he asked one day...Dad, what are all those games on the bottom shelf of the bookcase?;)

Out they came, he took to Panzerblitz early, and of COURSE always played the Germans because of the "Cool Stuff," while I didn't call him the same names, he DID learn a healthy respect for the fuel problem AND "short range" Russian Firepower....

THen we found a store in Indy that sold wargames and we were in Heaven...Squad Leader, AND add on modules!!!!

But we got tired of the complicated set up and squad level rules, so started coming up with our own scenarios, where we would pick the boards we would use by rolling the dice, then pick the units blindfolded out of the butter dishes we held all the various pieces in...which ended up with WIERD combinations....Polish cavalry backed up by British Mark I Mediums facing Italian SPDs backing up SS Engineer units....:p

But PICKING and setting up seemed to be more fun than actually FIGHTING, so we usually never finished them, becasue he would say, "Hey Dad, let's start over!:p (USUALLY when he DIDN'T pick a couple of Jagdtigers or Hummels.....:D )

But then came "Video Games," and the board games went away...

Now we spent quality time with Panzer General, Panzer Leader, Silent Service, The various "Medal of Honor" WWII ones, Spec-ops, he usually kicked my butt on the "action'"ones since he was more in tuned to the controllers, but the STRATEGIC ones I could hold my own...

But I miss the old cardboad cut outs and calculating (and ARGUING about:p ) "Line of Sight", and figuring armor to firepower ratios, then rolling the DICE....:cool:
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  8. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

Lol, that's hilarious polish, it's great that your son likes war gaming, and I havhe to admit, I enjoy PC games as well, I play Red Orchestra...Tank on tank battles and joint operations...full out combat with, patrol boats, tanks, choppers ground troops....tons of fun....I will always be a nerd I guess:D
  9. WarSteed

WarSteed New Member

Back in the day i played Star Wars, Axis and Allies, and Rifts... but i was like12. Don't think i have the patience now to play a weeklong game.
  10. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

In 1976, one of my sister's boyfriends introduced me to a game called "Napoleon at Waterloo" by Strategic Publications, Inc. This was a simple, basic little board wargame with cardboard counters, a map covered with hexagons and some reasonably simple rules. Units had an attack strength and a movement rating, coupled with a unit type symbol. A typical unit might be a 4-6 [Infantry] or 10-2 [Artillery] unit.

I progressed immediately to playing a Civil War set called "Blue & Gray", a "Quadrigame" which had a common set of rules, 4 maps and sets of counter, plus scenario specific rules for 4 different battles: Cemetary Hill, Antietam, Shiloh and Chickamauga. From there, I discovered Metagaming Concepts and their Ogre games. When a gaming convention came to Houston in 1977 and advertised an Ogre tournament, I talked my parents into letting me go. There, I was introduced to D&D. This was before "AD&D" came out.

Later, in 1983, I went to a gaming convention here in Atlanta (we had moved in 1979) and by the end of the convention, I was on its board, helping run it for the next three years.

I haven't played as much as I'd like, lately. I've still got a bunch of old games and old "Strategy & Tactics" magazines complete with their included games. The kids have played a bit of AD&D with me as the Dungeon Master, but other than that, they've been gathering dust.
  11. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

I love the blue and the gray....and D&D of course, I even played a bit of star trek board game, aside from the battles I play now, I play Xbox360, currently playing Oblivion and Midway, battle for the pacific