Warning! Graphic Hakim Abuse

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by TRAP55, Jul 20, 2009.

1. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Got home from my annual trek to the Sawtooth Mountains in ID to burn milsurp powder and kill rocks.
    Put a 25 round MG-13 mag in an Egyptian 8mm Hakim, and between the 13lbs and muzzle brake, you have an incredible amount of accurate firepower with very little recoil. Fun too!:D

[​IMG]
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

the only thing abused in that video was the side of the hill. Your Hakim wanted more.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I'll bet the spent brass was abused. My Hakim, even after a "correct" adjustment of the gas, still throws the brass and dents it up. The brass is not reusable after a pass through the gun. I gave up trying to save brass for reloading for it and just went and bought a bunch of 8mm surplus ammo that is not reloadable. The only downer is that it is corrosive ammo so I flush the barrel at the range and clean it when I get home.

With the laws here in California on so called Assault Weapons, I thought I would never own a semi-auto in 308 (my first choice). I tried to find a FN49 but could not and I already had a couple of Garands so I didn't want a M1A. When the Hakim came up I snatched it up. Since then I learned there are ways around the CA Assault Weapons ban by equipping the gun of choice in a specific manner, and they are legal. The trick is to pick a brand not named in the law, give it a fixed magazine (a special magazine release button) that requires a tool to remove (a bullet nose is a tool by definition in the law), no flash hiders or threaded barrels, and no folding stock. You can have certain combos but not all of it. Modified AW sales in CA are running rampant and I now have a FN/FAL, a SKS, an AR-15 style varmint gun, and just got a H&K clone (PTR-91). I almost wish I didn't buy the Hakim but if I decide to sell it I am sure I can get my money back and maybe more (??). But for now I'll keep it. I have yet to shoot the PTR-91 but I understand it too is hard on brass. The FN/FAL, when its gas it adjusted correctly, does minimal damage to the brass as do the Garands and the AR-15 clone.

LDBennett
  4. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

LD, I've heard complaints about damaged brass before, but for some reason mine doesn't do it. I don't have the rubber guard on the dust cover handle either. All my brass ejects out to the front on a 45 degree angle. It will go a good 20ft if I change ammo and forget to adjust the gas valve. I remember real quick at the range when it starts bouncing off the steel awning, and landing on someone 4 benches down.:eek: