1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

!!WARNING!! Not a firearm question.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JLA, Jan 6, 2008.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I just recently bought an old Dodge Ramcharger 4X4 and was just wondering why the transfer-case is full of ATF??? Just thought somebody might know. please reply.
  2. stetson

stetson New Member

I bet somebody put wrong stuff in .I have never heard of a 4x4 transfer case using
    tranny fluid instead of gear grease.Any mechanics,please chime in here as I am no an expert.I've just owned a dozen or so 4x4 of various makes.
  3. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Better the ATF than the FBI! ;)
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

JLA

No worries about being off topic in General Discussions...Thats what it's here for, to gab away about just about anything. :D

Fire at will! :D

Crpdeth
  5. justdoug

justdoug New Member

That's what they call for. Owners manual will read Mopar +4 or ATF +4. Haynes manual reads Dexron III. Personally I'd stay witht the manufacturers recommendations although Royal purple synthetics are supposedly the "cats meow". Why they've switched to ATF for transfer cases, I odn't know but there's a reason I have no doubt. There's a post somehwere around here about engineers...

This link has some info on 1994+ Dodge Pickups:
    http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/tranfer_case.htm

Just be glad it ain't a quadra-trac.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

thats why i was asking, i already have royal purple in everything but the transfer case, and i dont know if royal purple makes ATF. plus i still have a half a case of 75W140 left over from changing the tranny grease and the axles.
  7. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

JLA,

Just my opinion, but I'll bet a lot the AFT is there more for gas mileage/efficiency/heat prevention than anti-wear...... FWIW you can substitute a good hydraulic oil. It has the same sort of anti-foam, anti-scuff properties with the advantage of more shear stability. The advent of really good synthetic oils has pretty much both solved and confused the issue, IMO.... >MW
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

dang right about that!