WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Admin, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Admin

Admin Active Member Staff Member

I've just spoken with Bob Langcaster of Auction Arms.com and it is imperitive that ALL of you who are auction buyers, sellers or dwellers be informed of the identity theft attempt (below) that
    was attempted and caught by my company before they were
    sucsessful. TFF is very greatful to Auction Arms.com for providing this info and pursuing this matter in effort with TFF to keep internet criminals like this from stealing our members identity.

Please read the following, which is what my company was emailed, then our forwarding of this info to AA and then AA's -
    Bob Langcaster's immediate response to my emailing of this
    info was.

Hi,

I received the following email and I am suspicious of it's actual origin and authenticity, please verify.

Sent : Sunday, March 14, 2004 2:07 AM
    To : "***@****.com" <************>
    Subject : Abnormal Activity Notice

"WARNING, TFF MEMBERS DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW!"

Dear Auction Arms Member,

Due to abnormal activity performed on your account we need you to verify your identity in order to continue beeing an Auctionarms.com member. Follow the link below and complete the verification process. Otherwise we will have to suspend all your current activites on our site. There is no reason for you to worry, this simple routine check will resolve this issue.

http://www.auctionarms.com/help/log_in.htm

Thanks for using Auction Arms!

Manny Dela Cruz knows who I am therefore, if the above email is legitimately from Auction Arms, then please verify and I will at that point click on the link contained within the email as requested.

I went direct/straight to my AA login screen and logged in a few minutes ago and had no problem at all, this is why I am suspicious of the above email sent to me, as none of your on-site email links the email link, nor can I find a link at AA that matches the one I'm asked to click on, which only leads me to what appears to be the AA login screen anyway.

I don't go through a login link sent via email in case it's fraudulent,
    identity theft is rampant these days and it's not very difficult for these creeps to impersonate AA's login screen or anyone elses in order to hack in.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Steve / AKA-Admin

The Firearms Forum.com http://www.thefirearmsforum.com
    (***) ***-****

Hi, Steve, Bob here from Auctionarms.com You are correct. Please don't respond to these emails. A hacker/Scammer has spoofed our email addresses and is attempting to obtain your userid and password, or install a virus/hijacker program on your computer (I hope you do have virus protection for general security, not just for this specific instance. There are a lot of nasty ones out there.)

If you are able to view the email header detail (all the gobble-d-gook with numbers and routing codes) please copy it and send it to me.

We've had this attempt from several addresses and are working with the appropriate ISP administrators on hunter/killer missions. I just want to check that we've already caught the address of this one.

AuctionArms.com will never ask you to respond to an email to provide this information directly, rather, we would ask you to
    take the below approach using our update process directly on our site. If you haven't responded to this email, you won't have been compromised. If you did click on the link and enter any information, that information has now been compromised.

We believe this SCAMMER may have obtained your email address if you recently responded to a question from a user asking about shipping to New York. Of course these accounts have all been disabled.

Here are a list of recent scammers to ignore. We are putting
    counter-measures in place so you'll be safe even if you inadvertently respond to them and to their later scams to get your password.

rifleloverboy
    riflerockets
    rifleloving
    theOneTrueSniper
    armsseller
    m4a1lover
    gunsandrosesrifles
    m4a1_addicted
    armsbinder
    riflelover
    SCAMMERS FROM 3/9
    Ceslobozma
    Killing_Spree
    SareGardu

As a precaution, please log in as you normally do. Go to our Help and Information page and click on the link that says "How do I update my email address, password, etc.?" Then as a precautionary, check that all your information is correct and then choose a new password and secret word and
    enter it. (remember your password and secret word). You will receive an email to your current registered email asking you to click on a confirmation to make the changes effective. (This keeps a Scammer from taking control of your account by changing the email address) Your account will be temporarily disabled and will remain disabled until you click the confirmation.

This will protect you if the scammer was in any way able to compromise your security.

If you have any questions, you can email or call me at ***- ***-****.
    Thanks for the heads up, Steve. We appreciate your business and your help in keeping AuctionArms.com the BEST internet site for firearms auctions.

Regards,

Bob Lancaster

Executive Vice President
    AuctionArms.com

TFF gives it's official endorsement to Auction Arms.com for it's
    fortitude & tenacity in helping bring internet criminals to justice!

TFF Administration
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Also, members, please be aware that this same sort of identity theft scam is in a number of Emails purporting to be from eBay. They ask you to click on a link in the Email and give all sorts of personal information to "update your account".

DON'T DO IT! It's an identity theft scam.
  3. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

these emails are also happening w/ paypal!! so, BEWARE!! dont go to any links that you receive from "paypal". a few months ago, paypal sent out a warning email ~ making their users aware of this problem!
  4. mameral

mameral New Member

Thanks for the heads-up.
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I has a similar contact over a year ago involving E-Bay.
  6. AA-Bob

AA-Bob New Member

Steve, thanks for helping us get the word out to the firearms community about these scammers. We appreciate it.

Vigilantibus, et non dormientibus, jura subvenient
    The laws assist the vigilant, but not to those who slumber

Regards;
    Bob Lancaster
  7. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Thank you as well, Bob, for your part in making us aware of this situation.

And BTW, welcome to TFF! :)

Attached Files:

8. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Ditto, SouthernMoss, AA-Bob.

Delighted to have you here.

Attached Files:

9. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Thanks Tac and Bob, may these scammers all rot in hades.
  10. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Oh wow!!! Looks like someone threw a monkey wrench in your welcome line...huh Marlin ?!!! :D :D :D :p :p :p

LOL

mike

Oh yeah.......Welcome AA-bob !!!