Washington State legal resident rules

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by walien, May 5, 2009.

1. walien

walien Former Guest

Does anyone know a lot about WA state rules for legal aliens? I'm on a work permit. I know that the state had some problem whereby they couldn't issue alien gun permits. In reading the licensing site, it seems like that has been solved. Is that the case?

Also, there seems to be some rules that if you get permits before July you can get a concealed carry permit for a hand gun. Is this the case? The license is valid for five years. Will it be able to be extended? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Only partially solved. There is legislation in the mill. There is nowan injunction forcing DOL to issue the licenses under the old rules.

What happened is a classic example of one bureau getting too big for its britches and another bureau getting its panyies in a wad for nothing.

WA Department of Licensing thought they shouldn't have to go to the State Patrol to get the background check, even though that is state law and federal requirements. FBI wouldn't give background checks directly to DOLbecause DOL is not a branch of any law enforcement. So, DOL stopped issuing icenses. Legislature passed an act, making DOL part of the Law Enforcement community for this one action, following what FBI told them would fix the problem. FBI said the Legislature couldn't fix the problem by doing what the FBI told them would fix the problem. FBI was miffed that Legislature had tried to fix the problem by making DOL a law enforcement agency for this matter and now won't issue backgrounds to the State Police if the report is going to be passed on to DOL. State Police can use the report to transfer the information on to DOL, but can't give them a copy of the report.

Confused,yet. Good, join the crowd.

SAF and NRA (the guys who never do anything) brought suit and the judge told DOL to put their nose back where it belongs and start issuing again. They are now issuing licenses.

The law change coming up will drop the requirement for Resident Legal Aliens, and keep the license requirement for all other legal aliens. Illegal aliens will still be prohibited possession. (I bolded LEGAL because sometimes people simm that little word.)

Pops
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Just got this:

Looks like July 24 is the magic date.

Pops
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2009
  4. walien

walien Former Guest

Thanks. I'm definitely of the legal variety. You have no idea how hard it is for a well educated law abiding person to be a legal immigrant in this country. Sadly, the new laws for those who are legal aliens (TN-1, H1B, etc) are greatly restricted after July. You are limited to only shotguns, the license has to be renewed every 2 years and there's no more possibility of concealed carry permits. I think those running the suit didn't realize that those immigrating, especially on work visas, can be here easily for 10 years before the Green Card process begins. Getting a GC can take 5 years. Somehow, I think the lobbying bodies missed out on that.
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

There are other processes in the mill, but I suspect that there will not be any wuick response to help those who are not yet on citizenship path.

Is there a reason you have to wait for Boeing or MicroSoft or who ever to put you up for citizenship? Can you not just apply on your own? I do't know the immigrations laws so I am curious.

Pops
  6. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

A preview of govt. provided health care. If you are real sick, you will die before the various beaurocrats get over their pi****g contest.
  7. walien

walien Former Guest

There are many reasons why it takes so long. For many Canadians, they use TN-1 visas. They're easy to get and are tied to your job. You can't show immigrant intent with them though, so it's more than a little nerve wracking to deal with.

The more usual path is an H1B visa. People from every country can get these. They are 3 years and you can renew them once. They are also immigrant visas, so they get extended if you have started the employment green card process. Getting a company to apply for a green card is not easy. They are generally better off leaving you in the H1B status as long as they can. Once you have a green card, you can do what you want. When you are on an H1B, you are tied to your job. Lose it and you have to be out of the country in 30 days.

The Green Card process has many categories. If you're Sydney Crosby, you get a National Interest waiver and are let in and given a Green Card in about two months. There's no checking on anything, just by your nature you get in.

The second category, EB2, is for professional with advanced degrees or people with bachelors with 5 years of experience. The catch is that the job posted has to match these requirements. You could have a PhD, but if the job classification in your company is for a Bachelors degree and not that plus five year's experience. The most common category is EB3 and that is for a Bachelors degree.

To get either an EB2 or EB3, the employer is required to PERM. This basically advertises the job in specific ways required by the government. This certifies that the job is at least at the prevailing wage in the region and it certifies that they can't find a suitable candidate who is a USC.

This PERM process now takes about a year and a half. It's back logged.

Once you get passed this step, the EB2 folks have to wait about 3 months and then they get their Green Card. The EB3 folks have to wait for an adjustment of status. The last I heard, they're working through applications from 2004 right now. That means that the US wants you, you've gone through everything, but you have to wait five years. After a while you can change jobs, but you're still waiting ages.

That means someone could do:
    3 years TN-1
    6 year H1B
    2 years H1B extensions while waiting for Perm
    5 years waiting for GC status adjustment

That's 16 years. All the while they might better contribute to the economy by finding another job, but it's hard to find employers who want to deal with all of this. Microsoft, for example, opened a development center in BC Canada about 2 hours from Redmond. The 700 or so highly paid, well educated foreign engineers now live and work in Canada, because they welcome people with high levels of education. The US is not so much.

What WA has said is that if you're gone through this, you don't need an alien permit. What they have snuck through, is that through this process you can only get a shotgun after July. I think that the lobbying bodies involved really didn't understand the immigration process.

By the way, that's a pretty simplified version of the rules. I should also point out that for those 16 years, you have someone who wants to be American, who wants to buy a house, guns :), start a family, etc, yet they're treated like a migrant worker.

I pay a LOT of taxes every year and it will be a long time until I even have a Green Card. Congress on both sides has basically said they won't fix legal immigration unless its done along with illegal immigration. I think that's the wrong approach.

In terms of applying on your own, you can only do this if you're from underprivileged countries. People like Germans, Canadians, etc, can't throw their names in the lottery that is run for that. For well educated people, the best route is employer driven which few people want to deal with. They will commonly hire people who aren't qualified for the job. It doesn't exactly make those companies competitive in a global marketplace.

"A preview of govt. provided health care. If you are real sick, you will die before the various beaurocrats get over their pi****g contest."

It's not usually bureaucrats that are the issue. The public systems just don't have as much money as health entities get in the US. On the bright side, everyone can get coverage. That does lead to some cost savings in some areas. People can get preventative care. The baby boomers are going to cause radical changes to health care in this country. The current system just won't be able to maintain itself in 10-15 years.
  8. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

No offense, but why not become a US citizen?:rolleyes:
  9. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

As he states in his post, he is not allowed to apply, yet.

Pops
  10. walien

walien Former Guest

Bobitis,

You need a green card first. No need to roll your eyes with the sarcasm. As you can see, I spend a good 20 minutes writing a coherent detailed reply to someone's question. I'm more than happy to answer yours too, but it is nice when it comes without the sarcasm.

If I could just apply, I'd be heading to the car right now.
  11. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Please forgive my ignorance.

I just have a realy hard time with screwing those that want to follow the rules, and giving a pass to those that want a free ride.:mad:

My apologies, but I see NO justice for those that choose to do it right.
    All I see is freebies for them that flaunt the law.

It's NOT right!:mad:
  12. walien

walien Former Guest

Forgiven. I'm with you. I've gone through great pains to follow the rules, but it's rather difficult. Starting a family, getting a house and all of those things are rather hard to do when you will be booted out of the country in 30 days if you lose your job. At least now I'll have a new hobby in WA state.
  13. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Its funny how our brothers to the north has such a hard time gaining GC's for yet our little brown brothers seem to get a free pass. Here is what I am meaning on this, I had a mexican co worker who had his GC in hand in 3 days and was a citizen in 9 months. It took him only three days to get his work visa i mean and 9 months in country he was able to become a citizen. It was too bad though they cought the little beaner with 5 lbs of mexican brown coming out of Laredo Texas and deported his hide. But he was able to come back in 18 months later. He is now doin fed time for trafficing in Indiana
  14. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Gun ownership is a right that comes with citizenship. Aliens legal or not, have no business with firearms. Just my opinion but it's not open for debate, at least with me.

P.S. After giving this some thought I will make an exception. If Tranter moves heer he should be able to buy whatever he wants.
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
  15. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

+1
    As should voting.:mad: