1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Wasps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gabob, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

While mowing today there was a patch of Sumac about waist high. When I went thru it wasps wrapped up the tractor. They concentrated around the muffler and engine. I managed to make three passes and cut all sumac without getting stung. Lucky they were red wasps and not the little stripped guinea wasps. Guinea wasps and yellow jackets have no sense of humor. I once had to abandon my dozer for twelve hours because of hitting a stump full of yellow jackets.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I agree, yeller jackets and pygmy yeller jackets are the devil. Reds are mild tempered, but their sting commands respect. I think they have the second worst in the bee world, second only to paper wasps, which are extremely mild tempered and rarely sting people. I know about paper wasp stings because I stuck my hand in a nest once. I actually grabbed it twice, unknowingly of course, before one popped me.
  3. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

:eek:i HATE wasps!:yikes:

once i was on a hike with some guys that was supposed to be about 5 miles. our guide, who was an ALERT man(harsher training than the Marines) got us lost, so we took a "shortcut" cross country. what was supposed to be 5 miles ended up as over 15 miles.

while going through the woods off the path we encountered a yellowjacket colony, with me walking right in the middle of it. i just stood there, not sure which direction would take me away from the wasps, when finally another guy jumped in and hauled me out. i got stung almost 30 times, and still had to walk 7 more miles.

needless to say, i kill wasps wherever i find them. if i get lucky and take one alive i pull it's legs and wings off first. revenge is a bitch!:devilish:
  4. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

be glad they were not Bumble bees! use to mow and rake in the hayfields...they would follow you for a quarter mile and seemed to know exactly where you were! one of our rakes was the old converted type..one guy on tractor and one sitting on rake...they would get both of us!! and once hit with the mower they would boil out of the ground at the sound of a tractor for a week after! was funny when we finally got a tractoe with A/C on it..they would sound like hail on the glass!
  5. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

I have plowed up bumble bee nests. They hurt me as much as hornets
  6. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Bob....
    did you get back online ????
    You and BJ get the house fixed?????
  7. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

There's always hornets in the bushes. Me and my dad will come out and trim them in the spring and one time a bunch flew out and were stinging my dad. Luckily he isn't allergic and neither am I. I've been stung before. It just feels like a sharp pinch. Nothing too bad. Heard bumble bees hurt more.

Ended up getting stung in the small of my back one year when I went to sit in the car and I thought I got poked by something and my buddy said there was a huge hornet on my back.
  8. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Oh yeow ...... :dance: Owie...Owie...Owie

For years people have argued with me when I say

the black "Mud Dobbers" don't sting. at least they never have me.

your experiences.???
  9. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I've never been stung by one of those. Just a hornet. Sister has been stung by a wasp. Me and my dad found the nest, doused it in gas and burned it down.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  10. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

they will sting if you (as i did when much younger) capture them in your hands, remember when as a kid you would catch a bumble bee in your hands? as long as you did not squeese him or make him feel pressured they would not sting. guess reminded them of underground nest? well mud dobbers same. i learned hard way. not really a bad sting just burned for a long time and hand musles felt real stiff.since dobbers sting paralyze insects and dont kill guess it effected hand same way.
  11. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Never been stung by a Mud Dobber either but have been hit by the hornet, wasps, yellow jackets and bees.

When they first flooded Toledo Bend Lake down in LA all the trees were still standing in the lake and there were wasp nests on some of them the size of dinner plates. I gave them a wide berth.

As a kid my cousin and I would make rubber band rifles out of innertube bands and then search all the out building for wasp nests to shoot. It was shoot and then run like hell as they would come straight for you. Great fun for a couple of kids.
  12. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

What has always puzzled me about mud dobbers is where they build their nests. Have you ever seen a mud dobber nest on some thing not man made? I have not.
  13. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Funny you should mention the Dozer and yellow jackets. I was clearing with a dozer way back when, I pushed up a stump full of yellow jackets. All I had time to do was shove the throttle all the way forward as I ejected from the seat. They wrapped me up. You should have seen me. I did not return to the scene until right before day light the next morning with a can of gas, I set the stump on fire after I had moved the dozer to another location, didn't return to that same spot for a couple days to finish up the clearing. It's funny now, but let me tell you, it was not funny then.
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Never been stung by a dirt dobber, but have been by just about everything else! Growing up country leaves a lot of opportunities for a boy to get into trouble with nature! I haven't run into killer bees yet, but those yellow jackets should give them a run for the most aggressive catagory.
  15. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

The old man always made me open gates for him as he went through with a tractor and feeder wagon, gates were built out of pipe and the ends were never capped, those suckers were always full of yellow jackets. I've been stung by 'em so many times I'm damn near immune to them. Horse flies, on the other hand , make me swell up like a balloon. I hate those things. My dog ate a yellow jacket the other day, didn't seem to phase her much.