Wasps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gabob, Aug 11, 2011.

1. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Some years ago, I took my oldest son, Sean, and his best friend, Jamie, bowhunting to Bombay Hook Wildllife refuge in Delaware. We arrived to the spot I wanted to enter the woods and pulled my suburban next to the woods. The boys were behind the suburban getting ready and as I walked around the car, I heard movement in the woods. I walked back an whispered "I hear deer just inside the woods. be very quiet!". I went back to the side of the vehicle and as I was getting ready, I heard the "bzzzzzz" of hornets or something in the area. I took my little mini-mag flashlight and looked into the bushes beside the vehicle. I didn't see anything. I was busy getting my gear and all of a sudden, CHOMP!!! something bit my right leg!!! Then again and again. I began yelling Outch Outch Outch and danced by my son and his frient, spinning about like a mad man. They put their flashlights on me and we saw bumble bees crawling up my pants, and biting the heck out of me. We took our hats and swatted the critters to the ground. Once I was sure there were no more getting ready to chew on me, I calmed down. We still laugh about "the old man" saying "Shhhhh. quiet, there are deer just inside the woods!" And then the old man prancing by yelling and swatting!
    Apparently we had parked on a patch of land they had nested in and didn't like us being there. I moved the vehicle up and we did end up going into the woods for a good hunt. I don't remember if we got anything, but I sure remember those big bees crawling up my legs and biting me. I'm sure glad I had worn military style pants that tucked into my boots.
    Darn bees.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

That my friend, is why God invented fire, and gave man the ability to harness the fire into a handy little dispenser known as a weed torch. A weed torch blowing full blast will make short work of the mightiest swarm of bees. ;)

Plus you get to do what, you of all people, do best... Play with fire..:D
  3. geds

geds New Member

Yeah, but the DOT doesn't like having to replace burnt up traffic lights! :D
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The way I see it, thems MY traffic lights. I pay my taxes..;)
  5. geds

geds New Member

But aren't you one of the first to complain about government waste and unnecessary spending?:rolleyes:
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Not at all. The gubment is gonna do what they want to do as long as we let them. I just mind my own business.. :D
  7. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

I took my eldest son and his best friend bow hunting deer at Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge in Delaware some years ago. We pulled my Suburban up by a spot I had hunted in the past and as we got out of the vehicle I told the boys to be quiet as the deer frequented the area by the road. The boys were behind the suburban getting their gear and I stood by the back passenger door pulling my back pack and stand from the car when I heard "buzzzzzzz". I took my maglite and looked intently into the bushes by the car and saw nothing, but I did hear what I thought were deer inside the woods. I again went back and told the boys to be extra quiet. When I returned to the back passenger door, I reached in and as I was pulling my bow out something "chomped" down on my right thigh! As I lept into the air, I put my light on my legs and saw bummble bees climbing up both legs! They were climbing and chewing! I did a great spinning leap by the boys yelling "OUCH! OUCH! OUCH!" at the top of my lungs, while swating and swearing at both legs. The boys helped rid me of bees and we moved the vehicle up another twenty yards to where there were no bees coming out of the ground. We didn't see any deer that morning, and it was several years before I stopped hearing "Be quiet there are deer just inside the woods...
    OUCH!!! OUCH!!!OUCH!!! GET THEM OFF ME!!! HALP!!! "

DARN BEES.
  8. geds

geds New Member

Sounds like a good Patrick Macmanus story! I am still laughing - thanks for sharing! And try to be quiet! :D
  9. Infidel

Infidel New Member

Was pushing off some fallen timber last Monday at one of my hotel properties with the trtractor/loader and stirred up a bumble bee nest. Backed off immediately and went somewhere else and never looked back. That was lucky day!:)
  10. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

last week myself and some friends were clearing brush away from an old tool shed that we're planning to tear down. we found a hornet's nest so one of the kids ran and grabbed a can of WD40 and sprayed the nest, killing the inhabitants. turns out WD40 is just as effective as RAID but isn't as lethal to humans as it is to bugs.
  11. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Just today I had a red wasp in the dining room...Looking around for something to dispatch the critter with, I finally settled on a heavy duty paper plate...I gave him a good whack while he was perched on the curtain. Unfortunatly it didnt kill him but sure pissed him off!!! He flew right into my face and I got to flapping that plate around with much gusto..He didnt sting me, but in my flailing around, I knocked over a very heavy wrought iron chair that landed right on the top of my bare foot. :dance: Now THAT hurt. Score one for the wasp.
  12. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Many years ago I observed Dad in the back yard blasting away with our old Ithaca side by side. Curious, I went to see what the problem was. He had been mowing and found a BIG hornet nest about twice the size of a basketball. His idea had been to shoot the limb it was attached to so it would fall and they would leave. His marksmanship had deteriorated by that time, so I took the gun and blasted the limb in two, letting the nest hit the ground. We retreated.
    Next spring Dad cranked the old Ford tractor and started to plow the garden. Just a few minutes later he ran into the house and slammed the door. The hornets hadn't left the nest, and he plowed it!
    "Dad?"
    "What?"
    "The tractor is still running."

His expression was priceless.
  13. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

something some of you might not have considered: most wasps, hornets, and bees are only active during the daytime, so if you have a nest that needs taken care of you can wait til nighttime, douse the nest in gasoline, and light it up. almost zero risk to you and you get to burn something:devilish:
  14. whirley

whirley Member

I call government waste when we pay all those dead heads that are in Washington. That in my opinion is a real waste of money.
  15. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Another hornet story:
    Our well house is made of concrete blocks. It has a few holes in the outer wall, and a hornet colony made its home in one of these holes.
    Bored one afternoon, I loaded up the Red Rider. Yes, same one I got as a kid, it still works great!
    Hornets leave a "sentry," one hornet always will have a head poked out of the nest's entry. I sniped this sentry, cocked, reacquired, and was just in time to squeeze the trigger as the next hornet showed her head.
    Over and over, it was just enough challenge at 15 feet with round BB's through a smooth barrel. The timing was critical as it took the bug just about the same time as it did me to get into position.
    Dad saw what I was doing, and asked, "What are you going to do when you run out of ammunition?"
    Hadn't thought of that. Bless him for not asking what would happen if I missed.
    So I missed, and the hornet hit my t shirt. I separated myself from said shirt as well as abandoning Red Ryder to the bugs.
    Still never been stung by a hornet.