wasted a bunch of ammo today and . shot the rear site screw right out

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by evan03, Sep 10, 2011.

1. evan03

evan03 New Member

finaly got out to fine to my compact took a few rds to figure out that up means down on the rear site . got that figured out and i was slowly raising the my impact point

it was shooting so low i needed a shoot n see target below the upper one so i could tell where i was hitting. notice the ones on the lawer target are coverd then my last group is alittle right and about dead on for elevation.
    these are at 20yds.
    [​IMG]

then my group shooting right i gave it 2 clicks left and put a new target on. off course the first shot on the new target hits the red bull a big grin goes across my face and proceed to completly miss the target from there out.
    finaly i gun out of ammo in that mag and notice as im walking to target that my rear site screw came out. ,
    i almost felt realived thinking it was the gun or my shooting that went to crap real fast.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

notice the site standing way tall in these pics.

not sure what to do. i may have a screw for a ruger scope ring that might fit and maybe blue locktite it. offcourse ill have to cut it to length and all that bs
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I would just bet Springfield would send you one if you gave them a call. Blue might be a bit much for a screw you will be adjusting from time to time.
  3. evan03

evan03 New Member

this is a millet site.

blue is tempory and will most likly only barrelly hold unless i clean the screw threads and hole very well.
    technigly the spring should keep the screw from turning and the detents
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Call Millet and they will send you a new screw. You will be without the use of your pistol a few days but it will be worth it.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Rear sight adjustment isnt backwards. up moves the bullet impact up and down moves it down. if you are having to raise the rear sight up to the point of the screw falling out the front sight is about 1/8 inch too tall. Take a dremel and hack the top off it and file it smooth and hit it with some cold blue. then crank the rear sight back down and start over.
  6. evan03

evan03 New Member

thanks shooter and JL yes i had the screw to loose i guess you can se how much i was raising my POI then it finaly came out.

ill contact millet and lower the front site a 1/16 or so.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

little at a time bro. Almost all of my adjustable sight guns are zeroed at 25 yds by running the rear sight all the way down adn backing it off 1 click then filing the front sight down til it hits center, then adjusting the rear sight up til it shoots slightly high (hits center with a 6 o clock hold) then i have the entire adjustment of the rear sight to use on extended ranges. Its my way of making full use of the entire range of sight adjustment.
  8. evan03

evan03 New Member

i was making adjustments one click for 6 or 7 rds. but for part of it i was holding high its always shot low and ive got used to holding high to compensate.

im still scrounging for screws think i found one but i gota turn the head down to fit in the recess in the site
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

its always shot low because whoever changed the sights out to milletts just ordered too tall a front sight. Thet front sight should be around .160" tall, it looks every bit of .200" its an easy fix tho.
  10. evan03

evan03 New Member

knocking the roll pin out of the rear site so i i can get to threads in base of the site to see exackly what size screw i need

ill adjust my site like you did JL i think thats an awesome way to do it. only thing i think ill do difrent is use a black permanent marker to redo the finish ontop of the site.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have done that before too. Use a sharpie or a marksalot. they blend best.
  12. evan03

evan03 New Member

the wife drove 50 miles to go shopping at the big city with a freind she called about an hour ago and asked if i needed anything i was like yeah i need a screw for my rear site. after alittle talking she wont be trying to find one at the big gun store over there owhhell
  13. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Most gun stores don't carry parts like that, anyway. Your best bet is to order from Millett (and apologize to your wife).

Jim
  14. evan03

evan03 New Member

lol shes cool with it. i didnt get ahold of millet called an hour late and got a bushnell answering maching wtf. im about to just order a new site set. ive seen them priced 30-44.

been doing some research and everyone seems to like this serios 100 millet.

im wondering if the compact springfeild is sereis 70 or 80 makes a difrence in the front site looks like its stacked in to me
  15. H-D

H-D Active Member

the series 70 (colt) has a thinner front sight than a series 80 (colt) but I have never seen a springfield with series 80 parts