The Firearms Forum banner

wasted a bunch of ammo today and . shot the rear site screw right out

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Brisk44 
#1 ·
finaly got out to fine to my compact took a few rds to figure out that up means down on the rear site . got that figured out and i was slowly raising the my impact point

it was shooting so low i needed a shoot n see target below the upper one so i could tell where i was hitting. notice the ones on the lawer target are coverd then my last group is alittle right and about dead on for elevation.
these are at 20yds.

then my group shooting right i gave it 2 clicks left and put a new target on. off course the first shot on the new target hits the red bull a big grin goes across my face and proceed to completly miss the target from there out.
finaly i gun out of ammo in that mag and notice as im walking to target that my rear site screw came out. ,
i almost felt realived thinking it was the gun or my shooting that went to crap real fast.

notice the site standing way tall in these pics.

not sure what to do. i may have a screw for a ruger scope ring that might fit and maybe blue locktite it. offcourse ill have to cut it to length and all that bs

See less See more
#5 ·
Rear sight adjustment isnt backwards. up moves the bullet impact up and down moves it down. if you are having to raise the rear sight up to the point of the screw falling out the front sight is about 1/8 inch too tall. Take a dremel and hack the top off it and file it smooth and hit it with some cold blue. then crank the rear sight back down and start over.

#7 ·
little at a time bro. Almost all of my adjustable sight guns are zeroed at 25 yds by running the rear sight all the way down adn backing it off 1 click then filing the front sight down til it hits center, then adjusting the rear sight up til it shoots slightly high (hits center with a 6 o clock hold) then i have the entire adjustment of the rear sight to use on extended ranges. Its my way of making full use of the entire range of sight adjustment.

#9 ·
its always shot low because whoever changed the sights out to milletts just ordered too tall a front sight. Thet front sight should be around .160" tall, it looks every bit of .200" its an easy fix tho.

#10 ·
knocking the roll pin out of the rear site so i i can get to threads in base of the site to see exackly what size screw i need

ill adjust my site like you did JL i think thats an awesome way to do it. only thing i think ill do difrent is use a black permanent marker to redo the finish ontop of the site.

#11 ·
I have done that before too. Use a sharpie or a marksalot. they blend best.

#12 ·
the wife drove 50 miles to go shopping at the big city with a freind she called about an hour ago and asked if i needed anything i was like yeah i need a screw for my rear site. after alittle talking she wont be trying to find one at the big gun store over there owhhell

#14 ·
lol shes cool with it. i didnt get ahold of millet called an hour late and got a bushnell answering maching wtf. im about to just order a new site set. ive seen them priced 30-44.

been doing some research and everyone seems to like this serios 100 millet.

im wondering if the compact springfeild is sereis 70 or 80 makes a difrence in the front site looks like its stacked in to me

#15 ·
the series 70 (colt) has a thinner front sight than a series 80 (colt) but I have never seen a springfield with series 80 parts

#17 ·
on hold with bushnell for 45 minutes

dang near gave up when this sweet thing finaly came to phone well she sounded sweet n hot anyways.

millet is owned by bushnell and the series 100 site is now discontinued so if you want one by it.

anyways im telling here id like to order just the screw so she goes looking and doesnt find and screws it gets good shes like ill just send the entire site and youl have all the hardware on it. im grinning at this point.

then at the last second she checks the guys at the repair dept to see if they have screws dang it they do she came and was like ohh they have lots ill send you those.

so all in all being on the phone on hold for 45mins wasnt bad and i have some free screws coming should arrive in 7-10 days she said.

bushnell does still have a decent inventory of sereis 100 sites so places like midway and such should still have them instock for awhile

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.