watch the video especially what Ron paul says

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by jack404, Aug 16, 2012.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

2. TotheTop83

TotheTop83 Member

And we'll just pass this guy over because he's not one of the big two parties....

sigh....
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Ron Paul is called an Isolationist because of his policies, and ideas. i·so·la·tion·ism (s-lsh-nzm)n. A national policy of abstaining from political or economic relations with other countries. And they think that the isolationist idea is a bad one. Personally I agree with R. Paul. If my neighbor is on drugs, and is constantly in trouble with the law, do I really want to be known as one of his good friends? Birds of a feather flock together!! Our politicians tell us that this involvement with other countries is best for our National Defense! Yet they tell us that we should not have the right to defend ourselves??
  4. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Um, he's a Republican. He was in the Republican primaries. He IS in one of the big two. Yes, he's libertarian (like the founders) in his thinking and voting, but, he's in a main party.

We've missed our opportunity for change. There is NO ONE else.
  5. graehaven

6. graehaven

Actually, in his books, he calls it non-interventionism. He's not isolationist, he WANTS to have open trade and relations with all who will treat us respectfully and fairly, and we'll do the same. He doesn't think we should be "policing" the world, nor interfering in other countries' affairs. A lot of which is going on due to the dollar losing it's power - we go in and make war.

All the info is out there, documented.
  7. red14

red14 Active Member

We give money to over 190 countries. Billions and billions of dollars,
    he wants us to keep most of that money and give it to countries who
    share our interests.

We give money to China!
  8. carver

carver Moderator

You know that, and I know that! The other politicians just want to beat him up, and call him names!
  9. TotheTop83

TotheTop83 Member

Um, no he's not. If we're speaking technicalities then yes, but I'm not going to debate technicalities on the internet. That takes about two weeks for each side to get their point across at which point they realize they actually agree and all we have is wasted time.

That being said, let's be realistic, he's not a republican. He ran for the republican nomination because he knows as well as anyone that the only way to the white house is through the repubs or the dems.

EDIT: In other words, we (primary voters) passed him over because he, as a self-proclaimed libertarian, didn't fit into the republican mold.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  10. carver

carver Moderator

Some primary voters passed him over, some of us voted for him!
  11. TotheTop83

TotheTop83 Member

I did too! Was speaking of "we" as a whole, though...as in, he didn't get the nomination.
  12. One Shot

One Shot Active Member

I don't mind the conservative side of Libertarians, it's the liberal side that bothers me.

This is from Wikipedia:

Political scholars such as Noam Chomsky assert that in most countries the terms "libertarian" and "libertarianism" are synonymous with left anarchism.[9] In the United States people commonly associate the term libertarian with those who have economically conservative and socially liberal views (going by the common meanings of "conservative" and "liberal" in the United States).[10]
  13. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I'm glad he didn't get the nomination. We have to have military presence in other countries. To not is foolhardy. He has some good ideas but a lot of his ideas are unworkable and he knows it. He's just playing mind games with them cuz its what people want to hear.
  14. TotheTop83

TotheTop83 Member

I certainly don't agree with everything he says but I agree with much more of what he says than any other candidate.

I'll probably get flamed for this but I'm fiscally conservative and socially liberal (yep, I said liberal). Translate that into: 1) I hate the government spending and taxing people excessively and 2) I hate the government telling people they can't do things.

I'll assume most people on this forum can relate to fiscal conservatism. However, I don't get why people are opposed to being socially liberal. If someone wants to smoke pot...they should be allowed. If gay people want to get married...they should be allowed. I don't do either but I think people should be allowed to if they so choose. Whether you agree with the morality of those things or not, it is NOT the government's job to legislate morality. That is up to us as citizens. We should have the right to be moral or not.

To me, Ron Paul is the best representation of the idea that a government should be as small a part of peoples' lives as possible. The two party system we have now is a choice between a big government that spends your money or a big government that spends your money. While one might be smaller than the other...they're both entirely too large.

That said, I'm not trying to force my opinion down your throat. You're entitled to you opinion, of course!
  15. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks, I will make a note of that.