Watch those rubber hogue grips!

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Crpdeth, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

I was out at the range Saturday practicing with the Smith and Wes mod 910 .9mm...practicing a fast paced 3 shot succession on a half man silhouette, 2 quick chest area shots and one head shot @ 25 yards, tapeing the holes and doing it again, over and over...And doing pretty well I must say, and starting to feel rather cocky about it, when the weapon just stopped working...I realized that it was a good thing it happened at the range instead of in a conflict situation, but I still wasn't happy, The trigger was acting as if it was on safe, but a quick check showed that it should be ready to rock and roll...Then I slowly realized happily that the rubber hogue grips (as hard as they were to put on in the first place) had slipped down just enough to dissallow the clip to insert into the mag well far enough...even with a bullet in the chamber this weapon will not fire unless the clip is properly inserted. I'm glad I learned this lesson at the range instead of in the middle of the night...Honestly, if I thought I had time, I'd always grab the 12 guage from the bed room, but the Smith sits in a pocket on my computer chair, so ya never know.

¥
  2. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Never really understood the logic behind the magazine disconnect. Is there a safety concern - other than folks thinking an auto is "safe" with the mag out? Issues with blast coming out of the magwell, something like that?

Tactically, its a real bummer. "OH NO! Time for a Tac-Reload! OH NO, I've got a doorstop in my hand until I get the other mag in!!!"

'course, a wheel gun won't shoot with the cylinder out.:)
  3. Crpdeth

lol, good post Smashem...Very true about the wheel guns, Heh Heh Heh.
  4. Smoky14

Smoky14 Member

Donny: Thanks for the "heads up". I like Hogue grips for the most part but will keep my eyes open. I guess all modifications should be kept under a watchful eye.
    That mag disconnect surely is a double edge sword. That ole boy I spoke of who shot himself at our range also had a brain disconnect:D

Smoky
  5. Crpdeth

lol, you got me laughing over here now.
  6. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Brain disconnect - that's good!

Beat my ealier description of "mental flatulence."
  7. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

*falls out of his chair laughing so hard he pees his briches* well no pee involved but man was that funny. reminds me of one of my buddies trying to do the tac reload dropped the gun and screamed like a girl.

must of been a hogue condo grip eh?
    aka condom grip, those things suck
  8. Crpdeth

Well yea, but...We need the protection!
  9. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

protection means being able to use your gun not asking the potential bringer of ones death to hold on while you afix your condo grip properly :p
  10. Crpdeth

Sure, but ahhh....I wernt talking about that kinda protection, rotf. :D
  11. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

hehehe good times...
  12. stash247

stash247 New Member

Funny- Can't find an immediate action drill for this problem anywhere in my Colt database-suggest you consider a 1911 pattern pistol, forthwith.
    Too many acessories= too many problems.
  13. Crpdeth

- Got those, and love 'em, but the little 9mm is a lot of fun as well. True, concerning the acessories, but somehow I feel that after I buy 'em...I gotta make 'em mine, meaning that I feel the nagging need/desire to make at least one small addendum to "out of the box" firearms. Funny thing is, that after starting this thread (dramatizing the problem in my own mind) it has caused me to almost involuntarily check the grips upon picking it up each time. Problem solved? I think it is for me.

~Crpdeth