1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Wax on- Wax off....Need buffer advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by garydude, Nov 23, 2011.

1. garydude

garydude Member

I need to wax my vehicles again. I haven't tried a buffer before but I'm definitely thinking about giving it a go.

Anyone have advice as to if they save time and energy? Also any good brands?

Thanks!
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I'd recommend the orbital or jiggle types rather than a wheel buffer. They are less likely to dig into the surface. If you are going to use a rotary one attached to a hand drill, set your drill to relatively slow speed. You are not polishing a hard surface, you are smoothing a soft substance.

When I lived in the SouthWest (Nevada, Arizona, etc) I always let the car sit in the sun for a few hours before applying the paste wax. Metal surface at 120 to 130F smooths out the paste wax REAL quick. :D

Pops
  3. garydude

garydude Member

Thanks Pops,

I am trying to figure if the cost of the unit would offset the time saved, and if it does a comparable job to hand waxing (or even better).

When I went from steel to carbide sizing dies, it was one of those smack your forehead moments realizing that you could have been saving a ton of time and inconvenience with technology. Would the orbital buffer be one of those forehead smacking events? My forehead is up to the abuse if it means I find out a new and better way of doing things!
  4. wsas7816

wsas7816 New Member

I used my buffer a couple of times and then on to a garage shelf. I can only think that it is a time saver if you have a slab-slided, -roofed, -hooded and -trunked car.
  5. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I used one once, returned it promptly. That being said it was probably a cheap unit, not sure if a nice one would have done better.

Don't recall the details but I don't think it saved any time or looked any better.
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

My experience is that it will save time if you are waxing to preserve the finish. If you are waxing to impress Miss Molly or for a car show, then by hand is the only way to go.

Pops
  7. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

I use an orbital to apply a good Cleaner wax,,(Mothers works for Me) and The Hard wax ,,I use some old clean bath towels to remove the wax,,Seems,My lincoln gets longer every Year