WC844 and 62gr M855/SS109 loads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by recoiljunkie, May 19, 2012.

1. recoiljunkie

recoiljunkie New Member

Last night I loaded 3 recipes with WC844, CCI #400 small rifle primers, 62gr M855/ss109 bullets and once fired speer .223 brass. I'm told to use H355 data for my loads, starting with a minimal load and work my way up. My problem is, none of my manuals have data for 62gr bullets. So I searched through the internet and also looked at loads for 63gr bullets. My final decision was to load 24grs, 24.5grs, and 25grs, shoot them and look for signs of pressure. Well, I tested all three loads in 3 different AR's, and managed not to blow up any of them. All loads fired great with no signs of over pressure. Does anybody here have any experience with this powder/bullet combination? I'm still new to reloading, been studying all I can, and so far this forum has impressed the hell out of me(lotsa good folks on it). Am I missing anything?
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Nah you arent missing anything at all. Just using a canister grade powder with assumed data. Do indeed use the H355 data and you can safely use data for a slightly heavier bullet without fear of blowing your gun up.

My advice for you using the SS109 penetrator projectiles, dont bother working up an accuracy load. youll just waste your powder and primers chasing your tail. The steel cores are not uniform and consistent and the bullet will never fly as true as a good lead core bullet. So I personally would select a load maybe a half grain or so over starting charge for the 63 grainers and run with it. Theyll shoot well enough to pop beer cans at 100 yards.
  3. recoiljunkie

recoiljunkie New Member

Thanks! Yeah I've heard that they are mostly good for plinking. I got a bunch of them cheap. I've read that the WC844 is good powder, but it can vary in burn rates from lot to lot. I appreciate the feedback!
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

It can, but the rates are within a set of parameters, so the lots will still use the H355 data, you just cant keep the same load you developed with lot a when you crack open lot b.
  5. recoiljunkie

recoiljunkie New Member

Cool, thats good to know. The WC844 didn't dirty up my guns to much, it's not as clean as 2230, but it's alot cheaper.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Indeed it is. Have fun with it.
  7. recoiljunkie

recoiljunkie New Member

Yes sir, I will! This whole reloading thing is fun! Lots to learn!