We are doomed. I have no more doubts

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by satellite66, Dec 9, 2004.

1. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

Court: Mom's Eavesdropping Violated Law

SEATTLE - Striking a blow for rebellious teenagers, the Washington Supreme Court ruled Thursday that state law prohibits parents from eavesdropping on a child's phone conversations.

The case reached the high court because of a purse-snatching. A 17-year-old boy was convicted of the robbery, in part on testimony from his girlfriend's mother, who overhead him discussing the crime on the phone with her daughter.

The daughter had taken a cordless phone into her bedroom and closed the door. In another room, her mother pressed the speakerphone button on an extension, listened in and took notes.

The court ruled that the daughter and her boyfriend had a reasonable expectation of privacy on the phone. Washington state law prohibits intercepting or recording conversations without the consent of all participants.

"The Washington privacy statute puts a high value on the privacy of communications," Justice Tom Chambers wrote in the unanimous opinion.

The boyfriend will get a new trial.

Link
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Good thing they weren't around when my son was a teenager. It's a mother's right.... no, a mother's DUTY ... to snoop. :p
  3. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Oh Geez. Gimme a break. Kids can already divorce their parents, get their parents arrested for spanking them, and now they have a legal right to privacy on the phone. Where will it end?

Come on, collapse of society!
  4. pickenup

pickenup New Member

Nope, can’t be a “parent” any more. Sad....... :(
  5. Craig

Craig New Member

Mother should take the phone away.Daughter would also have the right to pay for her own phone.
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I had a different angle on this one. As an expert on telephones and an FCC certified rebuilder, many years ago I purchased an older antique model three holer.

When my eldest son and his roommate and good friend who lived with us at the time (early twenties) abused the phone, I pulled the one out of their room, as well as cutting off the service to their room so they couldn't override it.

Next, I went to work rebuilding the antique putting it back in pure original condition, it having been modified to a regular type phone. In the middle of the night, I hung it on the main hall wall where everybody could hear their conversations, if they wanted to, and we could see when they were using it. I set it for needing TWO quarters. No dial tone without the money AND no incoming call connected without the money.

I wish I'd had a camera the next morning for the look on their faces when told that was the only phone they could use and smuggly picked up for a call, thinking, so what, it will just work like and other, and it was DEAD. I never told them about the money so they went to figuring it out. It stayed in place for two months and, yes, they learned their lesson. We had no similar problem thereafter, to this day, and my son is now forty-five!
  7. Carl S

Carl S New Member

I cannot believe that ruling. They are minors. Lord, please protect us from liberal lunitics.
  8. Colonel Plink

Colonel Plink New Member

I am a firm believer in teenager's complete right to privacy...in any house that a teenager is paying the mortgage on.
    -Plink
  9. jsmarriner

jsmarriner New Member

Im disgusted at this ruling. Heard about it on Bill O'riely's show. I ranted a lil bit on another thread so i wont go much into it. The ACLU needs to be treated as a threat to National Security.
  10. Salvage33

Salvage33 New Member

Shreveport, LA why leave the USA to visit a 3rd wo
    The ACLU is not only a threat to national security, it is a threat to the very fabric of our society!! It has championed such causes as an underage females right to abortion on demand, WITHOUT parental consent or knowledge, the removal of ANY mention of God or other CHRISTIAN symbols in the public arena all the while not going after symbols of other religions, ie., the Jewish Torah, or the Islamic Star and Crescent.

They continue to foster the belief that "separation of church and state" is a Constitutional issue. No where in the Constitution of the United States does it say that.

They continue to say that they fight only for fairness and equality in all rights established by the Constitution, but they speak out of one side of their mouth since they don't uphold the 2nd Amendment rights of the citizens of this country, but rather don't say anything about the continued encroachment by legislatures, state and national, against gun ownership. Additionally, ACLU attorneys have assisted in planning legal attacks against gun owners by working with private attorneys who file such suits against gun manufacturers on the behalf of local governmental bodies.

However, since they continue to send me pleas for contributions and beg me to join their erstwhile endeavor, I send back the prepaid envelope stuffed with literature from the NRA and GOA to piss them off.

It is a small gesture, I know, but it makes me feel better and at the same time forces them to pay for it! :D

John
  11. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Good on ya, John. I do the same thing with the AARP crap I receive. Most of these organizations will automatically put you on their "accelerated" mailing list if you send them anything. Which means they spend even more money on worthless mailings and begging.

Pops
  12. Salvage33

Salvage33 New Member

Shreveport, LA why leave the USA to visit a 3rd wo
    LOL...thanks. I just thought they should have to pay as much as they have to in order to pester me with their freakin' mailings and pleas for money!

John