we are not sad or angry or happy , we are sick

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by jack404, Dec 4, 2011.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Disorders diagnosed to suit any condition

IN RADICAL changes to the way mental health conditions are diagnosed, what was once considered an unruly child's temper tantrum could soon be labelled ''disruptive mood dysregulation disorder''.
    If a widow's grief lasts longer than a fortnight then she might be diagnosed with ''major depressive disorder''. When the mother in a bitter custody battle tries to turn a child against the father, it might create ''parental alienation disorder''.

These are among new conditions proposed for the fifth edition of the psychiatrist's bible, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), which is due to be finalised next year.
    Advertisement: Story continues below
    The proposed changes have caused an international outcry. The Association for Psychological Science, the American Counselling Association, the British Psychological Society and leading psychiatrists are calling for the draft of the new edition to be subject to independent scientific review.
    They fear it is so inclusive it risks mislabelling millions of healthy people as mentally ill, potentially leading to increased stigma and medication.
    Doctors in Australia are also concerned, some arguing the revised manual - which has been produced by the American Psychiatric Association since 1952 and is used globally by psychiatrists and psychologists to diagnose mental disorders - is turning unhappiness into a disease.
    ''It's such a narrow and limited view of human experience to want to reduce every bit of suffering to medical diagnosis,'' University of Adelaide psychiatry professor Jon Jureidini said.
    ''Whenever you promote a new mental illness or a new medical way of understanding people's suffering, the impact of that is almost always going to be increased prescribing.''
    The controversy over the new manual reflects division within the mental health community over a global rise in the use of drugs such as antidepressants, stimulants and antipsychotics.
    The inclusion of conditions such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and autism in previous editions of the manual is believed to have contributed to increased prescribing.
    The changes in the new manual would mean children only have to display six of 13 possible symptoms for a diagnosis of ADHD, compared with six out of nine in the previous manual.
    New ADHD symptoms that have been added to the manual include acting without thinking, being often impatient, being uncomfortable doing things slowly and systematically, and finding it difficult to resist temptation.
    Under the new edition's criteria, the diagnosis threshold for some existing disorders is also being lowered so that grief over the death of a loved one can qualify as a major depressive illness.
    However, the authors have defended the move, saying the previous criteria potentially prevent people who need treatment from receiving help.
    ''A broad range of evidence … shows that there are little to no systematic differences between individuals who develop a major depression in response to bereavement and in response to other severe stressors, such as being physically assaulted and raped,'' Kenneth Kendler, a member of the DSM-5 mood disorders group, said in a statement.
    The executive director of the Brain and Mind Research Institute at the University of Sydney, Ian Hickie, said concerns over the manual were more relevant to the US, where patients relied on medical diagnosis to qualify for insurance to access healthcare. He rejected claims that the new manual would define unhappiness as a medical condition.
    ''When people are in pain and suffering elsewhere, we don't say people are pathologising that. We say, 'Let's try and do the best we can to relieve that and get them back to function in the appropriate way,''' Professor Hickie said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/heal...y-condition-20111203-1ocd4.html#ixzz1fXw8jB34

--------------------------------------------------------------------

all this is gonna do is make it real easy for lazy bum's to get welfare as they are "sick" not lazy
  2. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

Jack, the psychiatrics have to keep their livelyhood. I feel like you ,that it's getting way out of hand. They have to come up with a new diagnosis for a new medication so the pill pushers can make some money too.

I'll let you in on a secret the AMA is the most powerful political group in the U.S. Nobody wants to piss off the doctor, they might need him.
  3. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

This trend is not only restricted to psychiatry, its across the entire field of medicine and killing people everyday.

My advice to everyone is stay away from doctors as much as you can. Some of the medicines have not been tested properly or the research has been juggled to appear safe.

I think the real culprit is the financial motive.
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i'm with you there , the doc's here wantyed to do this that and generally use me to experiment with , i went to Russia and Ukraine and saw doc's there , the doc's here told me i'd be dead in 2 years if i did not do what they said , that was 2003 , and here i am , i followed the russians advice , eat well , non processed foods only , excercize every day even if i dont feel like it , and avoid a list of chemical additives , this i have done

not throwing up from med's , not weak from the meds ( as i dont take em, NONE) and humping a 40 kilo pack on occasions and still fit enough to take on knife wielding jihadi's when needed

and recently the government appointed psych's tried to have me committed because i embarrass the government too much

so i took other doc's with me who wanted to reveiw there finding , not only on me but on a number of other folks they'd made findings on , the whole process stopped there and then

they dont want facts or investigations

they want 100% control of the population
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  5. gad1111

gad1111 Member

"New ADHD symptoms that have been added to the manual include acting without thinking, being often impatient, being uncomfortable doing things slowly and systematically, and finding it difficult to resist temptation."
    Sounds like a normal child to me:confused:
  6. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I must still have some leftovers, ADHD wasn't a diagnosis when I was a kid. At the time, we were just considered kids, doing what kids do.

As to Impatient..uncomfortable doing things slowly and systematically. I'll cop-out to it. But, I will advise against it as a lifestyle. It creates Ulcers. :eek:
  7. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

I totally agree these comments, Jack you are right on!
  8. Juker

Juker New Member

And more and more TV advertising is devoted to drugs. Depressed? Worried? Anxious? Eyelashes not thick enough? There's a pill for everything.

I'm still trying to find figures for the number of anti-depressant scrips being doled out. Current numbers are hard to find, but there's this:

ScienceDaily (Aug. 5, 2011) — Americans are no strangers to antidepressants. During the last 20 years the use of antidepressants has grown significantly making them one of the most costly and the third most commonly prescribed class of medications in the U. S. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, from 2005-2008 nearly 8.9 percent of the U.S. population had at least one prescription in this drug class during any given month. A new study led by researchers at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health examines national trends in antidepressant prescribing and finds much of this growth was driven by a substantial increase in antidepressant prescriptions by non-psychiatrist providers without any accompanying psychiatric diagnosis.

Nearly 10% of US adults taking anti-depressants?
  9. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Cracks me up every time a hear a drug commercial.

"Comon side effects my include, but not limited to, .........., ............, ....................., .............., ............, ....., ..............., ..................., .............., and .............". :eek:

The damn side effects are worse than the problem. :rolleyes:

Seems like people just make this stuff up, call it a disorder, and make drugs to take our money away from us. Dr's, drug makers, and insurance companies. :mad:
  10. armoredman

armoredman New Member

I refused to take anti-smoking meds because they are psych drugs. I will not have a prescription for psych meds on my medical history, as that is the foot in the door the antis want - "He's unfit to own or carry a firearm, see, he has to take medicine to control himself! He'll stop taking his (X), and KILL EVERYONE!"
    How many school shooters were on/had been on Ritalin? Many if not all. They tried to drug up my son, I refused, moved him to another school where they work with words, not drugs. He's doing fine - here he is, last Friday, in a pose guaranteed to make UpChuckie and Diane pee themselves,

[​IMG]

I don't believe in ADD or ADHD or any other made up mental "illness" for which they wish to drug the population; I am reminded of how many dissidents went to Stalin's "mental hospitals", but I don't know how many made it out alive.