We really should have....

Discussion in 'TFF Technical Support Forum & Suggestion Box' started by gun runner, Jan 17, 2012.

1. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

A thanks option on each persons thread or comments so if something useful, helpful or funny is posted then you can thank the persons comment if you thought it was a good post. Then it should be tallied by where your avatar is, Thanked:##

If you dont know what Im talking about then look at the thetruckersreport.com

Just a suggestion :eek:
  2. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Sort of a like button like Face Book has. Would be a cool idea. I'm sure there is a reason why there isn't one.
  3. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Personaly I think it might influence some to contribute for the wrong reasons as opposed to simply being inspired to remark out of natural interest or desire. Wether it be helpful, humorous, serious, just plain chat or no reasoning whatsoever, I find it enjoyable just as it is. Often a thread can become a short novel in no time just via human nature.
    If it were something that folks were voting on, I think I'd probabbly go with "Nay" to anything that may effect some like a steroid and "I" to keep things gooey natur-el.
    I do like the thought in a way but I also know that much of what I like about this forum is what separates it from others. But what do I know, very little! That's just the first thought that came to mind and I'm probably wrong.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

While a good suggestion, I'm just by nature on the other side of the fence. I drive a truck with no power windows, door locks or a stereo that can talk to you; so for me, less is more. I'm just not one for added "gadgets". Kinda why I like wheel guns so much too.
  5. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I dont understand neither of you. Maybe a moderator might chime in. I dont see why it would be a bad idea? :dance:
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I think its a very bad idea... What if someone makes a completely pointless and inappropriate thread and someone else makes it a point to say so, then the OP clicks the no thanks button and adds some snide remark and then a fight starts. Its all a status thing. Liek facebook, where people strive to be friended by everyone they come in contact with. I have seen some pretty stupid and pointless fights start over that kinda crap and it doesnt belong here.
  7. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

okay just a thought, would of been a good idea but ok i guess i kind of know what ya'll are talking bout :)
  8. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've seen Like buttons at other forums. They tend to eliminate posts and interaction. The only time I've used them, was when someone posted a pic of a newly purchased weapon.
  9. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I agree with Josh. Bad idea because a certain few basically ruin the whole purpose of it being there.

I can't speak for the staff here at TFF but I help admin a flightsim website and we don't use it either.
    Some of the other flight simulator websites have either tried or are still using those "thank-you" and thread rating features. Quite a few flame wars start up either because of the not-so-positive remarks or if those don't appear, then it's just "Who's the idiot that only rated this thread a ____". And it's not the kids that abuse the system either...mostly grown-up kids that haven't yet.

Also, if I remember right, the thank-you feature isn't a native part of the vBulletin software that TFF uses. It's an extra plug-in (or hack). Those get to be a pain to maintain when you're keeping the forum software up to date too since most plug-ins lag behind the main software a bit.
    Thread rating is a vbulletin feature, but it gets abused just like the thank-you feature.

We've got a motto on our website credited to a long-term member that passed on a few years back. "Let being helpful be more important than being right."
    To me, having that advice posted at the top of our main forum page is more valuable than the rating or thank-you system.
    If anyone wants to say thanks to somebody that answered their question on the forum, then there is already a system in place for that...post a reply saying "thank you". :)
  10. berto64

berto64 Active Member

My thoughts are that it has the probability of becoming an entertainment venue instead of a rational discussion thread and the conversation could be entirely sidetracked.

Thanks for bringing this up GR.
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

good question to bring up and get opinions on
  12. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

Good idea, especially on this forum. I've been on some forums that allow user to vote up or vote down threads, but aren't really used.
  13. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I'm on a couple different VBulletin boards that have thread ratings, thanks, user reputation, etc. To be honest, I've never thought that any of those things added to the community in any way.
    Sure, they can be fun from time to time, but none of them draw people together, and none of them work to further the discussion.
  14. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I like user reputation or feedback for bought/sold items.
  15. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Now this may be worth considering, though our Buy/Sell/Trade forum is used rather little. We're pretty geographically diverse here.
  16. Juker

Juker New Member

I'll toss in my .02 and agree that it's a pointless exercise. So 100 people like a post and thank the poster? There are probably 200 more who thought the post was a waste of their time. If you like a post and agree and want to add something, then do it. Takes just as long as poking or thanking the author. Then what, a contest to see who can be the most clever and rack up the most posts to get the most thanks? Thanks, but no thanks. TFF succeeds because of what it is, not because it tries to be like every other site, or tries to be all things to all people.

Been looking for a good place to stick this, as I'm not on Facespace, Mybook, or Twizzle ...

Attached Files:

• fb.jpg
      fb.jpg
      File size:
      61.3 KB
      Views:
  17. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I don't want to be poked by some GUY.
  18. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

In Order To Reply, You Must Be Registered.
    Dag Nab It, Luke. :rolleyes: