Weak frame?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by RIPBiker13, Feb 28, 2008.

1. RIPBiker13

RIPBiker13 New Member

Has anyone ever had problems with their revolver being damaged or breaking? I've only heard about the earlier scandium frame J frame models having cracked frames. :eek:
  2. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

I have heard of them cracking before, but in newer revolvers it is rare, did you have one crack on you?
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

A current model revolver has the chance of being many decades ago even though it appears to be the same gun as available today...especially if it is a S&W revolver. Guns of old did not use the same alloys of steel that are used today because they did not exist much before WWII.

It was common in the early part of the last century to use mild steel for gun frames and where the wear potential was high to only case harden it. That was an incursion of carbon into the surface of only a few thousands of an inch.... a wear surface. But the frame was still low carbon mild steel. Today's guns are usually made of special alloys, some specifically designed for use in guns but most are aerospace alloys. These steels are much stronger that steels of old. That makes the potential for cracks much less.

But gun design can effect the gun's ability to produce cracks. If adequate analysis of the design is not done then stress risers can be embeded in the design and after enough cycles of stress the gun can crack at those points. Modern new designs usually include stringent failure analysis to remove those stress risers before the design is deem complete. Old models with new metal of course don't get that complete analysis because it might change the shape of the design and sales of the gun. People want the guns to look a certain way, not the way the computer analysis dictates. But S&W, for example, is forever changing common models, as witnessed by the forever changing dash numbers of their current models, to make the guns better.

Even if the gun design is the same as an old model the use of modern steels makes modern manufactured guns stronger than the same design done years earlier. WWII, I think, is the break point with a steady increase in the use of those better steels up to today.

So buy a name brand new revolver and your chances of a cracked frame are remote. And if its a S&W or Ruger they will probably fix a cracked frame for free (??).

LDBennett
  4. RIPBiker13

RIPBiker13 New Member

Mine is a S&W 686-6 and no, no cracked frame. I had just heard stories and was curious. S&W offers a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser and if a frame cracks it will be replaced for free, and the old serial # will be transfered into the new frame as well.