weak grip causes gun jam??

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by seanjonsean, Jan 19, 2009.

1. seanjonsean

seanjonsean New Member

just saw vid on you tube and this kid was shooting wat looked like a 9mm but kept jamming and his dad or adult kept telling him grip it tight , i had one jam today do u guys think that may be the case???
  2. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Yes, a loose grip on a semi-auto can prevent the slide from moving its full motion and cause a malfunction.
  3. seanjonsean

seanjonsean New Member

kewl thanxz for the input , idid notice i was accurate holding it lightly but then again i need to get the feel for it
  4. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

It needs a good firm foundation to recoil against unless you use a revolver.
  5. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Semi-auto shotguns have the same tendency. They jam if not held firmly against the shoulder.
  6. troutwest66

troutwest66 New Member

This is not to say you have to white knuckle it either. A firm grip not a death grip. My daughter has been shooting my 1911 since she was nine (she's twelve now) and she never had a problem with gripping it. She can part your hair with it, too!:D
  7. delta13soultaker

Yep. An AK47, M4, etc etc....limp-wrist them without the stock in your shoulder or pulled tight and you get a FTE/stovepipe etc.

Limp-wristing a handgun in a match to induce malfunction and get an aliby re-fire when you don't like how your score is going is an oldschool trick some older 1911 guys can tell plenty about. They used to do it so frequently that for awhile the 1911 started getting a bad reputation for reliability.
  8. G21.45

G21.45 New Member

NEVER hold any gun, 'lightly'. With a pistol it's always a firm, front-to-back grip. The trigger finger is slightly, 'disassociated' from the gun hand; and, you need to apply strong pressure: (1) immediately underneath the triggerguard, and (2) at the midpoint on the backstrap. Now, watch your front sight and go, 'tap, tap, tap'! ;)

HERE! Maybe this will help you out!
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

sean, you need a good heavy recoiling revolver. believe me, you will learn to firmly grip the pistol once the front sight has drawn you blood a couple if times;)
  10. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member

Hey thanks for the link to Wardell Tip thats a great site not that I had problem with a weak grip but I'm just sayin
  11. green_metalflake

green_metalflake New Member

I'd never had it happen prior to shooting a Beretta 96 in .40 S&W. I don't know why but I just could not get my grip right and had multiple slide-not-going-fully-into-battery faults.
  12. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I really dont think any serious shooter would pull anything like that delta :)

Why next they would be pressing their thumb against the slide to stop it cycling properly :eek:
  13. delta13soultaker

Ahhh...but a good pair of eyes can catch the ol' thumb induced stoppage, but the limp-wrist is truly very hard to catch.:D
  14. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

While limp wristing any semi-automatic handgun even down to a .22 will cause failure, I have "never" seen a gas operated gun suffer the same fate, nore gas pistols, since they do not rely on recoil-gas operated is what eliminates these failures.
  15. delta13soultaker

Three years as a drill sergeant I seen it many times.