Weak Hand and a gun to suit

Discussion in 'Disabled Hunters & Shooters Forum' started by lilmule, Aug 24, 2012.

1. lilmule

lilmule New Member

Having severed the ulna nerve years ago,even after regaining strength would get charlie horses if used much.So wanting to qualify for a cc license shooting 48 rds 6 at a time,with possible feed problems,went on a quest to find any pistol easy to operate.I can rack a 45 slide just cant do it many times in a row in 100 deg heat.The solution while it can be expensive need not be.
    My solution was a PT22,Beretta also makes a 22,25 and even a 32 acp in tip up barrel designs,even an older 86 model in 380 but not small overall.
    The tip up barrel allows one to load unload,even clear jams easily by turning upside down and tipping barrel,after removing mag,has a mag safty as well.
    Stiff da pulls yet accurate for close range,something even the weak hand can operate as small little recoil in 22 or 25 and the tomcat,bobcat berettas while tad more money are affordable about 300,gave 200 for my taurus,its about as dependable as any 22 rim fire,they do like to be clean as its a small area the combustion one and its a bit dirty so every 50 rds just wipe it out-easy tip barrel up,no feed extractor,wipe reload and go.
    [​IMG]
    Oh yeah 48 out of 48,did qualify and an odd thing winchester 40 grain out of this short barrel are dum dums at 7-11 yards and beyond,test on utube out of a rifle only does it in gel at that distance.
    This is the actual target I qualified on,instructor did a double take.
    [​IMG]
    And yes shorts and t shirt cc this,45 in in the truck,needs a set of wheels to haul around.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Congratulations!!

I am going in for the class next Saturday, so I have one week to get used to this new Glock 17.

Essential Tremor is my problem; gun can't be too heavy, nor can it bee too small, as either increases the hand shake.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Lilmule, Welcome to the forum! How do you feel about the CCW shooting part of the test now? Here, in TX, we can't use a .22, must be centerfire. And if you qualify with a revolver, you are locked in to carring revolvers only.

Terry, you're gonna do fine! I know it's seems nerve wracking the first time, but once you've done it, there ain't nothing to it!
  4. lilmule

lilmule New Member

Tennessee is rather liberal on the tests we can use either or and or qualify with anything not just the pistol we cc with,you can qualify with a 22 lr or 32 acp and carry a 357 if you desire.Even if 22 not permitted beretta makes 25acp and 32 acp in almost same pistol with tip up barrel.
    Our laws are not liberal its not stand your ground,its avoid if possible,shoot only if its a deadly threat,not a personal property issue like some one breaking in car.
    And must stop when threat ceases,one cannot shoot the attacker in the back while running away if no longer a threat.
    While it might be a popular act and not be pounced on by local da leaves one open still to lawsuits if any infractions.
    With the way some of us switch pistols be hard to qualify each and every time or carry a list of what you can or cannot use,here its a lic to carry a gun open or concealed,but not deadly weapons nunchuckys,knives etc.
    ky above us you get a lic for deadly weapons,bows n arrows bowie carvers,firearms etc.
    So like anywhere cross the line the rules change.
    CCw shooting part was great had a decent instructor,took the class at henry county gun club and its not a short one-8 hr class,shooting part 6 rds ea time on command was 105f,48 rds all on target.
    If malfunction occured he stopped it all and helped to clear the problem and not with just me,20 can attend at one time.Took 22 days from filing to get my cc in the mail.
    Notice about half of those 22 bullets hit sideways.Also own a 45 but be difficult to rack the slide countless times with out having hand draw up and be useless,can shoot it fine but at 130 lbs cant hide the monster,so truck carry.
    Terry you can borrow someones ruger 10/22 and qualify,then practice a bit with the glock,it is after all something you arnt going to plink with just in case its needed to be able to hit broad side of barn at 10 paces.
    Yall come back n see us ya heah
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  5. OldPSUfan

OldPSUfan New Member

Happily Pennsylvania does not test for a CC license. Just walk into your local Sheriff's office (small town) tell them what you want, give them a pre filled out form that you have downloaded. They do a background check, laminate a CC card with your pic on it, you give them $20., and your done. You can shoot any handgun you can conceal.
  6. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

if you know someone with a sig p230 or 232.. try it.

it's a medium framed 380. in other words.. it's a BIG 380.

recoail is pracitcally none. has a slide easier than a 1911 single stack mag.. and won't beat you up.. but is heavy enough to absorb the recoil of the 380.. and is medium framed so still concealable unless you wear spandex and muscle shirts. :)
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

you have to qualify? In Ct. they give u different guns to try and u shoot at the target u can shoot 5 times then your good
  8. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My wife had that problem. We were at our LGS and she went and looked at just about ever hand gun there. SHe found the P95 Ruger had the easiest slide for her to pull. She can't pull my Beretta or my sons SR9c. I bought her the P95 last night.
  9. AR guy

AR guy Member

Great gun that's what I shoot. Good groups easy to handle, smooth shooter.
  10. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Here in Idaho we are a 'shall issue' state. CCW is not required to carry concealed in your business or on your own property. It is also not required to concealed carry while out hunting on public lands in hunting regions or while hiking in the mountains. We are an open carry state also and no permit of any kind is required to open carry.

For CCW permits there is no specific CCW course required. However you do need to pass a firearms safety course which does include shooting. Veterans and ex-LEO's are exempt and issued automatically by presenting their DD-214 copy or equivalent.
  11. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Hmm...spandex or muscle shirts, would you still be required to have a CCW license in that case?
  12. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

... and a large coat hopefully :)
  13. ChristiAnne

ChristiAnne New Member

Hi Beth --

I am in CT too -- novice -- going to be taking the course and apply for permit within the next month or so.

Can you tell me anything more about the required course? I read that the requirement is that one must shoot a .22 -- is that true? I am a lefty - with a history of carpal tunnel in my left hand; in addition to tremors of an unknown origin that are intermittent -
  14. rawright54

rawright54 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

AZ recently eliminated the requirement to qualify, and I'm not too comfortable with that. We immediately lost our reciprocation agreement with Nevada, which I can hit with a rock from my porch, and I don't blame them. There are some who, like the OP of this thread, lilmule, who have legitimate difficulties to overcome that the rest of us don't have to consider, and I'm delighted that she was able to find an acceptable solution. That's awesome, and I'm proud of the OP for that achievement!:D

But while I agree with the position of AZ, that carrying a deadly weapon is a right that should not be limited without an extraordinary reason, like a record of violent crimes or extreme mental dysfunction, it bothers me that my state does not require permit applicants to prove that they can shoot straight. I actually know people who have guns, but have never fired them. That scares me a bit, as I know from a lifetime of shooting that it doesn't work like what they show on TV.

When I first got my CCW permit, I had to prove that I could hit a target reliably 5 times at a range representative of that most commonly encountered in a confrontation - about 30'. I don't think that it's unreasonable to ask anyone who chooses to carry a firearm in public to demonstrate that level of competence with the weapon of his/her choice. For various reasons, I let that permit expire many years back, and had to renew my application by starting all over. What a bloody joke! An hour of video training online, 10 trivial questions about how to tell if a gun is safe to handle, and you're in. This just isn't right. But I'll take it, when it arrives, because it will save me loads of time at the gun shop, buying stuff we need permission to buy. That ain't right, either, but I haven't the time or energy to stir the pot anymore tonight.
  15. bushrat

bushrat Member

I know this may sound a bit old fashioned, but why not a revolver? A new one can be improved with a bit of stoning of the action by a gunsmith and of course will smooth out some with a couple hundred rounds fired through it. Single action trigger pull is even lighter than the double action pull. As you fire it a new round is moved under the firing pin merely by pulling the trigger, so no racking a slide. Fewer things to malfunction than a semiautomatic, and can shoot a wide variety of ammo with complete reliability. There are a number of barrel lengths to choose from as well as calibers; from .22 all the way up to .50. And some of them can even fire more than one caliber, such as .38sp & .357mag. This gives you a tremendous range of power and bullet types, including both JHP, FMJ, JSP. Just a thought.
  16. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

hmmmm...

wife and neighbor lady both need something different. I'll look into these.

The neighbor lady has very frail hands with not much strength. She can handle her Titan .25 if it was reliable. My wife can handle and rack her TCP738 but the recoil is beyond her. I'd like to find a Beretta 84 for my wife