Weatherby 300 magnum Mark V

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by codydog, Oct 6, 2010.

1. codydog

codydog New Member

This was always the prize possession of my father's guns to me growing up. Now it is time to find out just how prized it is. This has beautiful carvings. The scope is also of great interest to me. Buehler (Orinda, CA) Redfield 3x - 9X Scope.

Now I do not live too far from Orinda, and I am wondering if Buehler engraved the rifle or just did the scope. Does the engravings add to the value or detract?

I am curious about what you know, what it is worth (rifle and scope each and together).

Attached Files:

2. codydog

codydog New Member

I can not believe nobody knows this gun. Let me add to the mystery. The bottom of the gun has Weatehrby Custom. Not sure if that would increase its value, but since nobody can give me a value (so far) do not know if it matters.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

cody , this is a excellent rifle

i have a weatherby V here but its a very different rifle

the customs are just that,

and its up to the buyer to order what they wish within the limits

here in Australia there are too many limits

In the US a lot fewer

it depends on who did the work, whether it was 100% in house custom etc etc

this is needed before anything can be accurate

the rifle as a base custom in 300 Win Mag is $1700 here and you can go up from there

they are excellent shooters if a bit heavier than the average , but this helps at times too

but its a hard gun to judge a price on

i hope someone from the US can help you soon

mine is a custom too but it's as shown in the catalogue pic

the custom page below , the rifles on this page vary between 2000 and 9000 as shown ( aussie dollars)

they not only hold there value but generally increase it, even here where theres 40% tax on any rifle

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  4. codydog

codydog New Member

So, I found a link to a rifle that looks very close to mine, and also has the Buehler mounts that mine must have. He is asking in the $5k range. I see new these rifles are going for a minimum of $5k before the customizations. Do you think mine is worth this, more or less? I also think it is the royal ultramark as it is very similar to the picture above.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/94552004...stom_Grade_with_Options_German_300wby_ma.htm#
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Cody, hard for me to say as i'm in Oz but here it may go for $7500 AUD ( maybe 6K USD )

it depends much on the market at the time

either way its not a cheap rifle as to being $5K ? i think easily and then some but thats a NON US view , there, it is probably very different so take my side with a good dose of salt

but for your info one very much like yours sold yesterday in South Africa to a bloke i know , he paid 44,000 Rand (ZSR)

but i dunno what the scope was besides being a leo...

whatever that is in USD ( i think about $6700 USD, but dont quote me on that either my figures on currency are guesstimates)
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  6. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i'd say your gun is worth 3500 or so. i am not an expert on them though, although i have owned a Mark V deluxe in 270 weatherby mag.
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

The "Deluxe" range is a very different gun to the "custom" range John you can option em up to the custom and then some but thats not cheap either
  8. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

oh okay. well i dont know much about custom, anything standard production i am fair on
  9. codydog

codydog New Member

Guys,

I now need to sell this beauty. Any ideas on how, where?

Jack, You said what and who did the custom work may make a value difference. How would I find this out?
  10. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

You have a Weatherby Crown Custom Mark V. Very nice rifle. In that condition, expect to sell in the $4000-$4500 range.

You can try some of the online gun auction sites like AuctionArms.com or *********.com, or you can post over at the Weatherby Collector's website www.weatherbycollectors.com

A Crown Custom similar to yours but in nicer overall condition recently sold for $5k on AuctionArms.
  11. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I agree, paid 2100 for mine 20 years ago and I don't think they have gone down in value any. Bought mine for an investment but couldn't stand having a gun in the house not being shot so I suspect I brought the value of mine down a little. I did take the fancy wood off and installed the synthetic stock for range use but still...
  12. codydog

codydog New Member

I have been told that the value placed on this here is high, and the only offers I have mustered are in the mid $2k range. I thought I would check to see if any of you would offer more because you now know you can get a great deal (based on current offers).
  13. Gamemaster 760

Gamemaster 760 New Member

The sale price locally is what ever the market will support.

I bought one once as a shooter from a guy that I did not know and I came to find out that the barrel was shot out and that it had no value at all.

I put about $500 into the gun to sell it for $400 and was damn glad to get it.

The auction house price these people are talking about would be if you were willing to surrender your rifle to them, have them sell it for you and give you a portion of the sale price.

Sometimes it might be better to just hang onto the rifle as long as possible and forget about selling it. My opinion is that it is only going to go up in value - while the value of the dollar is going down and even if you put that money in a bank account - you will never get as much interest as you will if you just sell the rifle when the economy gets better.

I don't understand why these young people today are in such a hurry to sell everything! Dad dies today and tomorrow his life's work of collecting guns is put on the auction block and sold to the highest bidder - only to be squandered on wine women and song.
  14. codydog

codydog New Member

Game,

Thanks for your input.

On your final statement, I am not comfortable sharing my situation, but there are a few things you may want to consider to help you understand:

1) Most people who parents are dying now, are likely baby boomers (like that you call us young though).
    2) They may not have the same interests as their parents.
    3) The economy tanked and wiped out many peoples retirement by over 50%.
    4) The new economy does not allow people without jobs to borrow money, even against assets in good standing.
    5) There are several heirs to the estate, which forces sale of assets to divide the estate.
    6) Deceased requests/require sale of assets for several reasons, one of which they understand their kids do not have the same interests as they did and they want the kids to use the money to help their families.
    7) Deceased wants the money to be used for college fund for Grand children.

There are many more reasons, that are good reasons I have heard, but thought maybe this would help you understand.

Again thanks for your input.