weatherby firearms

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by BETH, Feb 6, 2012.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i was just looking at them because a friend of mine just bought 2 of them, nice looking firearms anyone here have one?
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Quite a few, yes. German Mark V rifles in various calibers.
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Got pictures?
  4. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

I'll take a couple this weekend at the show.
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have a Weatherby Vanguard rifle in .223. It is the low priced version made in Japan. Still a very good shooting rifle. I am putting up a picture but it is a plain jane rifle with black synthetic stock.

Attached Files:

6. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Go with a Savage.
  7. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

My best friend has two Vanguards: one in .300 Weatherby and the other in .257 Weatherby. Both of these rifles shot 1/4" groups with the Barnes TSX. He loves 'em. He has a Mk V in .340 Weatherby that shoots 1" 300 yard groups with a 225 gr. TTSX. It's AWESOME on elk.

I much prefer either of these rifles to the Savage just for feel and ergonomics. I wouldn't own a Savage myself for that reason (had one and got rid of it).
  8. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Hunting buddy swears by them, so I found a mark V made in 2001 in 30-378 on our local computer list. Macmillan Stock, bedded, super light trigger, and had a decent burris scope. Sub MOA gun for sure and I only paid $1000 bucks for the gun; after shooting it; I'd paid way more if I had to. My buddy has half a dozen of them all accumarks that he bought new for around $1600 each but might be cheaper other places. I'd buy them used if I could and hear to steer clear of the vanguards, but who knows.

I like some of their calibers and nice guns to hand down to the kids. Look on brandx, you'll get a better idea on pricing.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2012
  9. anthonymsga

anthonymsga New Member

gdmoody thats a beauty. Love the Vanguard series 2 rifles though.
  10. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I wanted a Weatherby when I was in the market; but due to the dealers near me not having a new Weatherby, I bought a Howa instead; which has the same action as a Weatherby Vanguard.
  11. phinsnfur1

phinsnfur1 Member

I have a laser mark in 270 why magnum amazing looking and shooting rifle.
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

expensive little gun
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

a mates son with my Weatherby in 30-06

Attached Files:

14. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

nice shot Jack
  15. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

I have a Vanguard in 243 and really like. The first and only time I hunted with it I killed a nice little buck. Amazed at what that 95gr Speer SPBT did to that deer. Handles very well and quite accurate. My first synthetic stock but may get used to it.
  16. hoodedmonk

hoodedmonk New Member

Just shot a friend of mine's Vangaurd 270 shot mag seemed like a nice gun. I shot three rounds and two of the holes were touching and the third was just barley off the mark. not bad for a guy who has only shot Bows and shotguns for the last several yrs.
  17. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

3 shots at 100 yards as fast as I could work the bolt on my 300 WBY Mk V. I like it.
  18. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Does the Weatherby Vangaurd have the floating barrel? I realy haven't looked into them. I'm looking at getting the Howa which makes the Vangaurd. It's a little more expensive than the Vngd I think but it has the floating barrel which I like and the trigger is pretty much good to go out of the box.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  19. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

To the best of my knowledge, a Vanguard is a Howa is a S&W 1500 and there arent any actual differences, other than maybe the appearance of some of the stock options. I have two and love em.
  20. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Side by side the only diferrence I noticed right off was the rear of the bolt. I thought the trigger assembly was diferrent but I'm only assuming because folks boast about the Howa trigger which so far I have only dry fired but I like it as well. Then I've heard some negative feedback on the Vanguard trigger. Like you said, I believe stocks are interchangeable but no surprise there.
    I'm still shopping for my .380 and so far I'm sold on the Howa in this price range, but if I were to find they were in fact the same gun it would expand my deal/price opportunities.