1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

weatherby firearms

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by BETH, Feb 6, 2012.

1. hoodedmonk

hoodedmonk New Member

Just shot a friend of mine's Vangaurd 270 shot mag seemed like a nice gun. I shot three rounds and two of the holes were touching and the third was just barley off the mark. not bad for a guy who has only shot Bows and shotguns for the last several yrs.
  2. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

3 shots at 100 yards as fast as I could work the bolt on my 300 WBY Mk V. I like it.
  3. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Does the Weatherby Vangaurd have the floating barrel? I realy haven't looked into them. I'm looking at getting the Howa which makes the Vangaurd. It's a little more expensive than the Vngd I think but it has the floating barrel which I like and the trigger is pretty much good to go out of the box.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  4. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

To the best of my knowledge, a Vanguard is a Howa is a S&W 1500 and there arent any actual differences, other than maybe the appearance of some of the stock options. I have two and love em.
  5. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Side by side the only diferrence I noticed right off was the rear of the bolt. I thought the trigger assembly was diferrent but I'm only assuming because folks boast about the Howa trigger which so far I have only dry fired but I like it as well. Then I've heard some negative feedback on the Vanguard trigger. Like you said, I believe stocks are interchangeable but no surprise there.
    I'm still shopping for my .380 and so far I'm sold on the Howa in this price range, but if I were to find they were in fact the same gun it would expand my deal/price opportunities.
  6. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Howa makes weatherby and aftermarket parts are interchangeable, so they are basically the same
  7. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Beth
    I don't shoot the siege guns any more.:D

But I git my second Weatherby recently along with some other guns and a Ft Knox safe.
    Did not know that Weatherby made a semi auto 22 and further the lever on the rt side converts this little gun to a single shot or semi auto. I have not been able to shoot it yet but am really anxious to do so. It is the model XX11.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

UF
  8. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Oh man, you've got a nice looking MarkXXII there UF!
    (that's Mark 22 if you do the roman numeral math) That's what their new bolt-action 22 is called as well, but it ain't nowhere near as purty as the old semi-auto.

I had a chance at a tube-fed one quite a few years back but didn't have the cash at the time...that was back when they were still affordable.
    Nowadays, everyone around here thinks the old semi-auto Weatherbys are collectible or something. :rolleyes: I just want one for a "sunday-go-to-meeting" bunny gun. :D
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  9. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Thats why i have my Howa insted of the Weatherby I saw them laying right becide each other at a gun show asked what was the diff. the guy said just the name. Both made in Japan. For $250.00 cheaper and the simmons scope on it i took the Howa 1500 .223! :D
  10. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

According to "Shooting Times" there is a new version of the Vanguard out called the S2. Supposed to have an improved trigger among other changes. My Vanguard is about 4 years old and I am quite content with the trigger on it.
  11. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Howa is a great firearm coupled with the price, accuracy, and aftermarket weatherby parts that fit. It's a great deal!!