Weatherby Mark V 270

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Hawkeye_DJ, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Hawkeye_DJ

Hawkeye_DJ New Member

I have a co-worker who brought in a Weatherby Mark V 270 that he bought. On the side of the receiver (in cursive) it has Weatheeby spelled out instead of Weatherby. Has anyone ever heard of Weatherby being misspelled on a gun?

thanks,

P.S. I told him it was a counterfeit. And He needed to let me take it off his hand.:D
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Hawkeye.....welcome to TFF!

Your friend with the "Weatheeby 270" has a very rare variation of the Weatherby 270 that's almost as valueable as my very rare "Walter" P-38 that's inscribed "To Adolf.....Happy Birthday.....Love Eva" (which I know is genuine because the gypsy I bought it from looked very honest!) :)

Seriously, I've never heard of any such thing. As far as I know, all Weatherby's (no matter who made them....and there were a whole bunch of different manufacturers) were die stamped or roll stamped with the whole name and not one letter at a time, so such a misspelling would be damn near impossible.

BTW, if your friend is in the market for a very rare inscribed Walter P-38, I've got that, and a lovely bridge in Brooklyn, NY, for sale. :D
  3. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Former Guest

People sometimes bought milsurp guns such as the 1917 Enfield and rechambered them to different hunting calibers such as 300 Weatherby.

They then marked the barrel so that the wrong ammo would not be used in that gun.

There were companies that sold stocks identical to the weatherby that people bought to make their guns look just like the weatherby's.

I even got took on one of them guns once.

Could be that who ever built the gun couldn't spell or was in such a hurry that he didn't care how he spelled it.

I knew a guy that was a sign maker that couldn't spell either....